Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2012, 08:02   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: How Much Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Now I expert all the smart CF experts to start telling me how stupid I am even though all I asked is what they were using.
We are on a mooring with a 375Ah bank of wets combined with an ACR to a another deep cycle battery used as a reserve or emergency starting bank.

We had an 80W Siemans, until two weeks ago, initially via Flex-Charge shunt controller for one year, this system sucked and would never reach full charge. I only bought the Flex-Charge shunter to do some experimenting with it.

Converted to a Morningstar PWM, with same panel and same bank, and could finally get to full and had considerably better times to 100% / full performance.

We then converted to a Genasun MPPT and got slightly (emphasis on "slightly") more Ah's per day, again same system no other changes. The three controllers all made a measurable difference and the Genasun was not that expensive compared to a decent PWM. If panel space is limited then a MPPT might make sense but otherwise a good PWM does darn well. Shunters... well...... The MPPT has made a bigger % difference on the 140W panel than it did on the 80W panel which stands to reason..

We currently have a Kyocera 140W panel, Genasun GV-10 MPPT on 375 Ah's of wet cells that is also charging a start battery via an ACR, when I decide to flip the switch on.. Bank was very, very CHEAP (Wal*Mart) and is well into its sixth year and doing extremely well considering the $210.00 I paid for it (yet another long term experiment).

Solar on the mooring has made a huge difference in battery longevity for us and my customers.
Old 16-08-2012, 08:16   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
No need to duck!!! Of course I never said my goal was to recharge my batteries while on my mooring while gone for the week (I never asked for any sizing help at all. But thanks, really because I know threads get used by others in lots of ways,not trying to be an a-hole)

I am an engineer and already fully understand how to size my system and was really just looking for what people in real were using, not how to size my system. Pretty basic math etc.

Now I expect all the smart CF experts to start telling me how stupid I am even though all I asked is what they were using.

PS - I figure the chances of keeping the thread from going down the system sizing cals are long gone. So for those that what to do so, go ahead but there isn't any need to address it to me personally. To others that just want to answer the question in terms of: I have 360W solar, 100AH daily loads, feel my solar is enough - thanks)
Don...What is your daily power needs in Amps?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 08:36   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Don...What is your daily power needs in Amps?
Depends under what conditions you ask about (guess I will just go ahead and drift along the thread). Attached is at anchor, how does this compare to others experience for a 40-45' boat?
Attached Files
File Type: xls Power comsumption @ anchor spreadsheet.xls (45.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 16-08-2012, 08:39   #64

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Depends under what conditions you ask about (guess I will just go ahead and drift along the thread). Attached is at anchor, how does this compare to others experience for a 40-45' boat?
Your refrigerator consumption seems high by about 20 AH. How much hot beer are you putting in there?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 08:45   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Don you have to get yourself an LED anchor light at least. If you combined that with some LED internal lights you would be in surplus ( if I am reading your spreadsheet correctly)
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:08   #66

Boat: Beneteau 393

That spreadsheet looks familiar...

At the risk of getting my head bit off for trying to help, your fridge probably isn't running 24 hours a day, so your actual Ah usage from it is probably lower.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:09   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Consider that it can get sticky when you consider the the duty cycles over the operating modes, at anchor versus passaging. Battery acceptance rates, matching solar, wind, and generator outputs to consumption cycles.
Yes, if you want to get that detailed then it gets complicated. But you can get plenty close enough without all that. You can do just a little bit of basic estimating and math and feel fully confident that you are neither wasting a lot of money, nor seriously under-sizing your system.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:21   #68
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Your refrigerator consumption seems high by about 20 AH. How much hot beer are you putting in there?
A lot and I run it it at the COLD setting!!! It is pretty deep and I don't see the need to waste the space. What would be the point of having warm beer in the locker and empty space in the refrig?

But it probably does use a lot less than what I have on the sheet if I were to run it long enough to get everything cold. It normally will start to cycle off once everything gets cold in a day or so.

I rarely turn on my real anchor light because normally I'm in an anchorage etc and I have solar lights instead for this.

I have LED internal lights but I like to be able to see.

I prefer to error high on the consumption use.

I probably would really be at a surplus both at anchor and underway with the 360W of solar. But who really knows until I do it.

Which goes back around to the original question without having gone into my personal details of the question
Old 16-08-2012, 09:31   #69

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
A lot and I run it it at the COLD setting!!! It is pretty deep and I don't see the need to waste the space. What would be the point of having warm beer in the locker and empty space in the refrig?

:

I was going to make some dumbass comment about reducing the size of the refrigerator compartment.........but then I saw your true genius. The extra beer acts as a heat sink!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 10:35   #70

Quote:
Well Don...That's why these threads end up with endless speculation. If you would simply calculate your maximum needs (it would take all of 30 minutes with Calders book), you would have your answer to your original question.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-08-2012, 12:24   #71
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well Don...That's why these threads end up with endless speculation. If you would simply calculate your maximum needs (it would take all of 30 minutes with Calders book), you would have your answer to your original question.

Is there some reason you feel the post above provided any info other than taking a shot at me?

I don't think any amount of time with Calders book would answer the orginal question I asked, more like the questions others asked instead of answering my question.
Old 16-08-2012, 14:46   #72

Don...It wasn't meant as a shot. Other posts have repeatedly tried to narrow down your needs. That means they are trying to help...me included. It's a simple deal! Calculate your need and people can help you figure out your solar and batteries.
But you seem to be avoiding it. Why does ever question require 80 posts?
Old 16-08-2012, 14:51   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

This sounds like a Monty Python Skit - "I came here for an argument and this is a contradiciton" - "No it isn't" - LOL...

How does knowing what everyone else has for solar power help you? Everyone's boat is kitted out differently, used in different ambient conditions, has different desires for available/consumable power.

"Not trying to be argumentative"

"Yes you are"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 15:10   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

How does knowing what everyone else has for solar power help you?

...exactly! I calulated mine with the help of Calders book to 75amps a day. Then figured I needed 400-600amp/hrs of batteries for that. Then calculated out 250-400 watts of solar to accommodate the batteries. I don't see what all the hubbub is about.
Old 16-08-2012, 18:32   #75

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey

I can tell you from personal experience, the beer on Don's boat is always cold, very cold.

Don Andrews
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar