Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 19:37   #1
cruiser

How old is too old?

I have 4 Trojan T-105's now. 2 were shipped from the factory in January, and the other two were shipped in November.

How old is too old when buying new batteries?

If I got ripped off again....... you don't want to know.......
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 19:38   #2

Sounds to me they should be ok, Sean?

Who did you order them through?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 20:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So to clarify, you have just recieved all four of them? or you actually recieved two back in Nov and the other two in Jan? If you are refering to the difference in age between two sets then no, 5months is fine. A years difference is getting a little too far. But then it also depends on the No. of cycles as well. A battery is only good for X number of cycles. If you have good charging and maintain the charge, then you can get more cycles. you know the drill, no point in me boring you further there.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 20:58   #4
Kai Nui

It also depends on how they were stored. This does not sound like they will be affected, but you could always use it as bargaining fodder to get a discount
Old 11-03-2006, 09:04   #5
cruiser

I just bought them brand new from a battery dealer in Long Island. I checked the dates of manufacture/shipping (after I got home of course) and noted that two of the set of 4 left the Trojan factory in Nov. The other 2 of the set of 4 left in January.

I recall reading that aged batteries, when bought new, are already sulphated past a certain age. Just can't remember the age.

Glad 5 mos is ok. I thought I got had *again*.
Old 11-03-2006, 13:12   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
sulphation vs sulfatation

Sean,
Normal self-discharge "rates" are on the order of 1% of the A-h rating per day at 20 to 25 deg. C. Many of the AGM and gel batteries are less than that, tho not all.

A little known fact about loss of capacity is that over a few months, depending upon temperature, the loss is temporary and that is due to normal sulphation and is reversable with application of an appropriate time of exposure to an acceptance or equalization charge.

Irreversible loss of capacity is called sulphatation (note the spelling difference).
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 14:48   #7
cruiser

Rick... do you have a book coming out any time soon? I'd like to buy it!

Thank you yet again. I have learned so much from your posts.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:12   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Hi Sean

Often I have thought about "doing" a book and then am brought to ground by various responses from individuals seeking technical advice who lack the ability to think critically and reject the advice on the basis of some confilicting myth prevalent amongst the misinformed.

Now I am merely a skeptic, not a pessimist or cynic, in my experiences of people looking for answers who do not open-mindedly question the credibility of the sources for information.

On an upbeat note, people like you are a breath of fresh air in this regard. I wish that I had your tact and ability to present myself in such a friendly accepting happy manner. Thank you!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 16:43   #9
cruiser

I don't know, Rick... you could be the Richard Kollman of marine electrical systems.

So you really run into a lot of people who doubt what an electrical engineer has to say?

That's pretty sad... this stuff is probably not terribly complex compared to other things you do for work.

Well, thanks for the compliment... the reason I think the way I do is the BS in Physics. So I understand where you are coming from, even though I have little experience with marine electrical systems. A lot of what I'm doing is guesswork, but backed by some kind of knowledge I used to have in my former life.

I do hope you end up putting out a book someday. Even a small little guide like Richard Kollman has. His guide was all I needed to learn enough to be dangerous and install a refrigeration system. I'm sure your book could help a lot of people understand electrical work on a boat as well. Your facts are scientific... can't be disputed no matter how many old wives tales say something different!

But alas... I agree with you regarding the masses. Probably a big hassle to deal with playing to the old wives tale / least common denominator factor.