Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 17:06   #1

Boat: Tartan 33
Question How to choose battery selection switch-

I have a sailboat with a 24 hp diesel motor..need to replace the 39 year old perko battery selector switch.

There are 2 battery banks,
1 ( house bank) is a set of 2 Duracell group 2 6 volt batteries wired in series.
230 amps @ 20 hours 230 cold cranking amps.

2.. ( starter) is a deep cycle AGM 12 volt, 545 cold cranking amps.

I am told that it is important to make sure that your battery selector switch is properly sized, but cannot find, after several hours of searching on line, including the perko, guest and blue sea sites, and guideline of what size switch is appropriate. For example, blue sea systems sells switches rated at
300 , 350,and 600 amp,

Can anyone point me to a guide or rule of thumb of what I should be purchasing? Electricity is not my strong point.. If I start the boat on "1 & 2", do I size it for the combined cranking amps of both sets of batteries.. size it for the higher rated cca, or what? Is there a downside ( other than cost) to having an oversized switch?

Thanks in advance! I'm a civil engineer, mainly cause I was failing my electrical course and bailed out.
bellrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 17:40   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: How to choose battery selection switch-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellrock View Post
I have a sailboat with a 24 hp diesel motor..need to replace the 39 year old perko battery selector switch.

There are 2 battery banks,
1 ( house bank) is a set of 2 Duracell group 2 6 volt batteries wired in series.
230 amps @ 20 hours 230 cold cranking amps.

2.. ( starter) is a deep cycle AGM 12 volt, 545 cold cranking amps.

I am told that it is important to make sure that your battery selector switch is properly sized, but cannot find, after several hours of searching on line, including the perko, guest and blue sea sites, and guideline of what size switch is appropriate. For example, blue sea systems sells switches rated at
300 , 350,and 600 amp,

Can anyone point me to a guide or rule of thumb of what I should be purchasing? Electricity is not my strong point.. If I start the boat on "1 & 2", do I size it for the combined cranking amps of both sets of batteries.. size it for the higher rated cca, or what? Is there a downside ( other than cost) to having an oversized switch?

Thanks in advance! I'm a civil engineer, mainly cause I was failing my electrical course and bailed out.
Take the nice and small 300A switch.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 17:46   #3

for engine starting I would take the normal size 350a one. it's easier to wire with more space then the 300a one. and it might fit in the existing hole. the 300a ones are tiny and hard to connect if more then a couple of wires.

all those switches are constant power rated. and likly rated double for ~30 secs. so they will handle 600-700a while cranking and most small engines will draw ~200-300a when starting
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 18:08   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

The 300A Blue Seas switch has a 5 minute intermittent rating of 500A and a 30 second cranking rating of 900A. See https://www.bluesea.com/products/600...king_Key_-_Red and https://d2pyqm2yd3fw2i.cloudfront.ne...eb_version.pdf

The 350A Blue Seas switch has a 5 minute intermittent rating of 600A and 30 second cranking rating 1200A. See https://www.bluesea.com/products/110...witch_with_AFD

In your instance either one will do electrically speaking, choose the one which has the best physical footprint for your application. Physical sizes are shown on the website.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 20:10   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

This is my opinion. Do not sue me!

Don't buy Perko or Guest. I have disassembled a dead Perko. Cheapest piece of junk I have ever seen. Can't say I have seen a Guest taken apart but generally Guest products are poorly made.

Again, this is my opinion. Don't sue me.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 23:22   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
This is my opinion. Do not sue me!

Don't buy Perko or Guest. I have disassembled a dead Perko. Cheapest piece of junk I have ever seen. Can't say I have seen a Guest taken apart but generally Guest products are poorly made.

Again, this is my opinion. Don't sue me.
I agree.

Blue Seas switches are the best choice. As posted above the 6000 series of smaller switches are fine but a 9000 series may be a better fit for the previous mount.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 03:32   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

With your practice of combining the House and Start batteries for cranking and then switching to separate banks - I think you need to be sure and get a switch with alternator protection circuitry to allow this. Not all (mine don't) do and stating procedures need to be followed for what your equipment allows.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 05:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
With your practice of combining the House and Start batteries for cranking and then switching to separate banks - I think you need to be sure and get a switch with alternator protection circuitry to allow this. Not all (mine don't) do and stating procedures need to be followed for what your equipment allows.
Squanderbucks is recommending [as do I] a Battery Selector Switch, c/w Alternator Field Disconnect [AFD]
See ➥ https://www.bluesea.com/resources/91
And ➥ https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti...witch_Position

Some Blue Sea Systems Battery Switches c/w AFD:
#3001 [600A Cont] ➥ https://www.bluesea.com/products/300...witch_with_AFD
#3003 [500A Cont.] ➥ https://www.bluesea.com/products/300...witch_with_AFD
#9002e [350A Cont] ➥ https://www.bluesea.com/products/900...witch_with_AFD

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 05:56   #9

Boat: Tartan 33
Thumbs up Re: How to choose battery selection switch-

Thanks to everyone for such sage advice.. I love this forum!
bellrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 06:14   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

A good read before installing a new 1-2-B selector: https://marinehowto.com/1-2-both-bat...onsiderations/
Old 13-03-2022, 08:59   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Have you considered wiring your starter positive feed directly to the start battery through a solenoid and a battery cutoff switch before the solenoid. This provides a path to the starter independent of the selection switch.

Battery+ --- cutoff switch ---- solenoid ------ starter

There are cutoff switches available that mount to the battery terminal as well as ones that mount in line. Solenoid switch is usually mounted on your starter already.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 10:29   #12

Boat: Norseman 447

When you look at the "continuous rating" of a battery switch, don’t forget the look at what the allowable heat rise is, and remember that some battery switches only handle their maximum rated current if you wire them with the largest possible wires. Apparently, they’re counting on the big wires as part of the heat sinking.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 10:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
When you look at the "continuous rating" of a battery switch, don’t forget the look at what the allowable heat rise is, and remember that some battery switches only handle their maximum rated current if you wire them with the largest possible wires. Apparently, they’re counting on the big wires as part of the heat sinking.
No, they are counting on the cables to handle the expected current.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 11:50   #14

Boat: Norseman 447

You say banana, and I say banahna. If you don’t have big enough wires, the switch will get hot. It will likely stand less heat than the wire.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 12:50   #15
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@mitiempo #13
Quote:
No, they are counting on the cables to handle the expected current.
The wire size and rating are interrelated and determined during the testing and certification of the battery switches. The wire size certainly is sized to ensure enough ampacity to handle the current and also to ensure that voltage drop requirements are met.

However, the battery switch ampacity is a function of the wire size used to act as a heat sink.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery