Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2010, 19:33   #1

How to Connect a Hertz Gauge to a Generator ?

I have a steel hull sail boat. I have installed a 17kw 220 volt generator in it and would like to connect a hertz gauge, vot meter and an amp meter to it to control what's going on. The company which I bought the generator wasn't much of a help, they said that they could not tell me how, but for $450.00 they would happily send a technician.
Also I'm having dificulty figuiring out if I should connect the green ground wire to the hull or leave the a/c isolated from it. My concern is eletrolesis

Can any one in the forum help me.
Thank you,Luso
luso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 21:11   #2

Freq meters are across the line devices unless they operate off of a special voltage and then they will have a transformer. Just look for a HZ meter with a voltage equal to your line voltage and wire it across the lines. I looked for a 2 inch round freq meter a while back and had trouble finding one for a decent price.

AC genset ground must be bonded to the boat’s ground at the genset. Beyond the genset the boat ground and the neutral stay apart from each other. AC does not cause electrolysis. You don’s want to be in a steel boat with a voltage potential on the hull. That would tend to hurt.

Are you using the house battery bank to start the genset? If so, c
heck the starter ground as it may simply be run to the genset frame and this will then use the boat ground as a starter circuit return.

Um Saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 22:24   #3

Um saudade,
Is this a portuguez name?
I found a retangular digital meters for $15 at ebay store caled asia engenieer.
When you said across the line is this the two hot lines for a220volts? The gage I have also needs a 5 volts dc . it come with a litle transformer for 12volts.
The propultion engine and the generator ground starter cable goes to the primary negative bus. [ my DC system is isolate from the hull}.
The AC sistem is also isolate from the hull and from the DC.
I have 220volt shore power thru a isolated transformer to a shore/generator switch and them to a inverter /charger.
Is this OK? Now you make me realize that if a have a short in the AC side when I'm using the generator that could be pass to the DC by mens of the starter ground cable,is this corret, if not how could i isolate the two systems?
Thank you
Luso
luso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator