Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2021, 12:57   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
How to test if starter battery is being discharged

Hi All -

My boat has a house bank and a starter battery. Theses are controlled with a battery selector switch with the typical 1 - 2 - Both - Off selections. I also have a charger with separate leads to each bank.

I would like to verify that when the switch is in the House bank or Off positions that there is no drain on the starter battery. Any suggestions for how to do that?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 13:10   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: How to test if starter battery is being discharged

You can check continuity with a simple voltmeter. Or voltage. Or just look at the back of the switch.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 13:20   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

There may be loads on the starter battery that bypass the selector switch, like a bilge pump or a CO detector. The most reliable method is to use a clamp on ammeter on the battery cable.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 13:25   #4

Boat: Nauticat 33

If you don’t have an amp clamp you can charge the starting battery until the charger enters float, let the voltage settle for a couple of hours, and take a voltage reading. Then come back the next day and take a second voltage reading. If they’re the same, nothing is discharging your battery. If they’re not, something is drawing current other than the starter.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 13:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
Hi All -

My boat has a house bank and a starter battery. Theses are controlled with a battery selector switch with the typical 1 - 2 - Both - Off selections. I also have a charger with separate leads to each bank.

I would like to verify that when the switch is in the House bank or Off positions that there is no drain on the starter battery. Any suggestions for how to do that?

If you have a clampmeter put it around the starter battery cable or pull a starter battery cable off & check for current flowing between the battery terminal & the lead. Set your multimeter to amps.
If its leaking a small amount of current the clampmeter is not very accurate, need to use multimeter leads.
Thats how I do it but I'm no electrical expert.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:36   #6

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
If you have a clampmeter put it around the starter battery cable or pull a starter battery cable off & check for current flowing between the battery terminal & the lead. Set your multimeter to amps.
If its leaking a small amount of current the clampmeter is not very accurate, need to use multimeter leads.
Thats how I do it but I'm no electrical expert.

Be careful using a multimeter to read current directly off a battery. If it's significant it could easily burn out the multimeter. Most can't handle more than ten amps.

Before using a multimeter I'd put an old-fashioned 12v incandescent light bulb in series with the battery lead (I have, in my electrical tool box, one with two pieces of wire soldered to it for just such occasions). If it lights up, you are drawing significant current: dim: an amp or so. Bright: two amps or more (assuming an automotive tail light bulb). If it's bright, don't use the multi-meter on amps. If it's dim or out, it's safe to use the multimeter.

Also make sure to switch your multimeter OFF amps before using it for anything else or putting it away. If, for example you go to measure voltage somewhere (like across the same battery) and the meter is on amps it will self-destruct for sure and you might get burned fingers in the process.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:49   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
If you don’t have an amp clamp you can charge the starting battery until the charger enters float, let the voltage settle for a couple of hours, and take a voltage reading. Then come back the next day and take a second voltage reading. If they’re the same, nothing is discharging your battery. If they’re not, something is drawing current other than the starter.
Or the battery has seen better days,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 12:04   #8

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Using a volt meter set on amps should be OK to check for vampire draws the current should be low enough for the meter to handle it. Disconnect a battery terminal and put the meter inline. With everything off you should get zero. An alternator with blow diodes can create a vampire draw or a bad starter solenoid, I have seen both happen.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 18:15   #9

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Be careful using a multimeter to read current directly off a battery. If it's significant it could easily burn out the multimeter. Most can't handle more than ten amps.

Before using a multimeter I'd put an old-fashioned 12v incandescent light bulb in series with the battery lead (I have, in my electrical tool box, one with two pieces of wire soldered to it for just such occasions). If it lights up, you are drawing significant current: dim: an amp or so. Bright: two amps or more (assuming an automotive tail light bulb). If it's bright, don't use the multi-meter on amps. If it's dim or out, it's safe to use the multimeter.

Also make sure to switch your multimeter OFF amps before using it for anything else or putting it away. If, for example you go to measure voltage somewhere (like across the same battery) and the meter is on amps it will self-destruct for sure and you might get burned fingers in the process.
Most multimeters employ a fuse built in, and will blow that before the meter.
You can use a test lite as mentioned, pull the start battery + lead and connect your ground(black) lead to the + battery terminal at the battery and your + (red) lead to the cable you removed.
Set your scale to auto volts or 20 volts dc.
Should be less than .5 volts, closer to .3 or 0vts.
If your using the test lite, again, hook it up in series, should not light or be very dim.
Any more and you've got a draw.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 15:44   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The simplest test would be to look for a spark when connecting or disconnecting either battery terminal.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery