Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:24   #1

Location: Cruising on US East Coast 2024, Sailing back to Med 2025
Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan
How to wire my hot water heater to two AC sources?

Hi All,

Am hoping someone will be able to offer me some advice about how to wire up my hot water heater so it can be powered either by the generator, when it is running, or by my inverter using a 30 min countdown timer switch.

Current set-up:
1,200 amp hour LiFePo4 house bank connected to a Victron Quattro 5000 inverter charger. Hot water heater is currently wired up to one of the Quattro's AC outputs that is only live when Quattro receives AC power from either shore power or generator. This is wired so as to avoid accidently draining the house bank if one forgets to turn off the hot water heater at the switchboard.

Target Set-Up:
Since I have 1,600 watts of solar and the water gets hot after about only 30 min of shore or generator power, I bought a mechanical 30-min countdown timer switch (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FIYZRI...roduct_details). I'd like to wire this up to the Quattro's other AC output that is fed by the inverter and so live even when there is no shore power and the generator is not running. The idea is to avoid needing to fire up the genset just to heat hot water and instead simply turn the knob on this countdown timre to 30 min to get hot water without the risk of accidently draining my house bank.

What I'm wondering about is if it would be safe and wise to simply wire up the imersion heather to both output circults at the same time, or if that would risk doubling up the AC voltage and frying my impersion heater (or damagaing the Quattro)? Is there a smarter way to get to the same outcome?

I could obviously disconnect the imersion heater from the Quattro's output that is live when shore power / genset is available, and have the imersion heater only wired to the countdown timer, but then I'd need to remember to turn on the count down timer for hot water even when I am on shore power or the genset is running.

Thanks in advance for any advice an appologies if this is a dumb question, AC power is mysterious to me.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:37   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: How to wire my hot water heater to two AC sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Hi All,

Am hoping someone will be able to offer me some advice about how to wire up my hot water heater so it can be powered either by the generator, when it is running, or by my inverter using a 30 min countdown timer switch.

Current set-up:
1,200 amp hour LiFePo4 house bank connected to a Victron Quattro 5000 inverter charger. Hot water heater is currently wired up to one of the Quattro's AC outputs that is only live when Quattro receives AC power from either shore power or generator. This is wired so as to avoid accidently draining the house bank if one forgets to turn off the hot water heater at the switchboard.

Target Set-Up:
Since I have 1,600 watts of solar and the water gets hot after about only 30 min of shore or generator power, I bought a mechanical 30-min countdown timer switch (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FIYZRI...roduct_details). I'd like to wire this up to the Quattro's other AC output that is fed by the inverter and so live even when there is no shore power and the generator is not running. The idea is to avoid needing to fire up the genset just to heat hot water and instead simply turn the knob on this countdown timre to 30 min to get hot water without the risk of accidently draining my house bank.

What I'm wondering about is if it would be safe and wise to simply wire up the imersion heather to both output circults at the same time, or if that would risk doubling up the AC voltage and frying my impersion heater (or damagaing the Quattro)? Is there a smarter way to get to the same outcome?

I could obviously disconnect the imersion heater from the Quattro's output that is live when shore power / genset is available, and have the imersion heater only wired to the countdown timer, but then I'd need to remember to turn on the count down timer for hot water even when I am on shore power or the genset is running.

Thanks in advance for any advice an appologies if this is a dumb question, AC power is mysterious to me.
If you connect it to both outputs, you short the outputs, undoubtedly leading to expensive repair bills.

You already bought the timer switch so that’s what you have. If it doesn’t have an always-on position then you don’t have that.

I would have bought a Shelly relay that uses an app or even a browser to control it over wifi. There are many options.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:03   #3

Location: Cruising on US East Coast 2024, Sailing back to Med 2025
Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan
Re: How to wire my hot water heater to two AC sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you connect it to both outputs, you short the outputs, undoubtedly leading to expensive repair bills.

You already bought the timer switch so that’s what you have. If it doesn’t have an always-on position then you don’t have that.

I would have bought a Shelly relay that uses an app or even a browser to control it over wifi. There are many options.
Thanks very much! I definately won't wire up both AC outputs then. Checked out Shelly switches, interesting. Fundamentally though, it appears as if I can only use one of the AC sources, unless I used a relay and a third switch to toggle between the two sources, making things even more complicated. Sigh.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water