Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 09:48   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Hydrocaps -- Worth While?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The old automobile garage way of topping batteries was a pitcher of water with a spout and tube - you pressed down the spout on the battery and it filled to the right level. I have not seen one of those in at least 50 years; let me check if they still exist.
I think you and I were thinking along the same lines. Probably scares since autos seem to use sealed batteries exclusively.
It was common place to find one sitting right next to the gas pump along with a bucket of water and a squeegee for the windshield. Days of yore.
Someone wanting one might look at semi truck supplies.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 10:12   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Had hydro caps on my GC batteries but didn't seem to make a lot of difference. Switched over to a remote fill system as one battery required taking another battery out to get at it to check the water and fill. Used parts like the ones from this site to make up the system. It has individual caps joined by vinyl tubing so filler spacing of the batteries didn't matter. Cut the tubes to fit your batteries. The system is more robust than the ones that have a ridgid connection between the fill caps. Managed to break the linked caps trying to pull them off a battery.

May still have the HydroCaps laying around somewhere that you could have for postage but you'd have to wait. Currently held captive in CA by COVID and no telling if we'll ever be able to fly home to find them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 10:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The old...way of topping batteries was a pitcher of water with a spout and tube - you pressed down the spout on the battery and it filled to the right level.
They're around but the ones I've bought (3 or 4) are junk. They have poorly fitting plastic parts that jam and then water overflows the cell.

The other problem is all the ones that I've seen are for automobile batteries. The spout is too short for deep cycle batteries and even when not sticking they over-fill the battery.

I'd love to find a quality one with different length spouts for different batteries.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 11:01   #19

Boat: Grand Banks 32

My GB 32 has 6 6-v (house) and 1 8d 12v (start), all FLA, all in covered boxes in a tight spot. Checking and watering them all was a total PITA. So for about $130 I bought a golf cart-type watering kit. 1 tube branches to all caps. Uses a bulb type hand pump (like your ob motor gas line). I just dunk the tube in a gallon of distilled water every month or so and count the pumps till it gets too hard to pump. Easy Peasy. I check the system by looking at my battery monitor frequently. in 2016 when the batteries were all new, the fully charged resting voltage of the house bank was 12.65. Today it is still 12.65 so I figure the batteries are fine. When it starts falling I will figure something is wrong and then do all the usual cell-by-cell checks. So far, so good.
Anything wrong with this method? Please let me know.
Thanks
Oldersalt
"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 16:57   #20

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I has access to HYDROCAPS for cheap, but the thread's were different, i cut the threaded part off the battery cap' and cut the threaded part off the H,C, that didn't fit the battery's, and glued the two part's together with SUPER glue, they worked fine, as a side note, the H,C'S were developed for W,W, two Submarine's, with Diesel engine's.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 18:15   #21

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

DH,

I also opted for FLA batteries when the house bank needed replacing. Mine are not conveniently accessible [unless one enjoys moving hundreds of pounds of tools and spares each time...]

I went with Trojan T-105 batteries and instead of Hydrocaps, I chose Trojan's Hydrolink [Clampless Tubing version] centralized watering system. I can top up all 8 batteries in less than a minute- including stowing the distilled water bottle.

There are other 3rd party FLA centralized watering systems available as well. One that is popular here in the states is Flow-Rite.

Here is the link to the Flow-Rite demo video:

In case you would rather spend your $ differently...

Cheers! Bill
Old 13-05-2020, 19:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’m sorry, you’re absolutely correct.

My brain was multitasking and failing.

We had looked at flo-rite, but dismissed them.

Ultimately we installed battery watering technologies fill valves. They have a level indicator.

https://www.batterywatering.com/prod...valves/vb-tbu/

I’ve been watching storm systems near the Bahamas where our boat is in quarantine.

Thanks. Checking them out.

Hope your boat stays safe. Last time I checked looks like the system will be moving N or NE away from the Bahamas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 19:46   #23

I used these caps for may years on 6 volt Trojans...had great service with them. Cut my monthly waterings to every two months and even then the fill was less so I think they were very worthwhile.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 19:59   #24

We use them for 10 golf cart batteries, they work great and have for years. We water every two or three months.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 20:20   #25

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I have a friend that just purchased some hydro caps. He bought them to eliminate sulful smell from LA battery charging. He said they worked but I have no first hand knowledge of them. He said they use less water also.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote