Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 18:20   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Hydrogenerator

Mike, there are no stops, no help. Its up to the skipper to make repairs (with radio and internet assistance only) and if he even uses his anchor he will be penalized.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:06   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I wonder how well these work while at anchor. There are a few places I know of that have a lot of current due to tides or regular ocean currents accelerated by geography.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:57   #18

Boat: J/120
They use hydro because it is most efficient. They can generate 40 amps at 12 knots or so and considering these boats will average 13-14 for the entire circle that is a big bang for the buck. keeping in mind the weight savings due to less fuel they need now.

All of the boats have at last two generation sources. Some have all four (diesel, wind, solar, and hydro). One boat, Acciona, does not have a diesel engine, so all generation is from, water, wind, and solar. If he makes it, he will be the first sailboat to circumnavigate non-stop without an engine.

Clearly they are not perfect though.

Someone mentioned regeneration from the electric motor. What are max amps you can get that way, and at what speed? I'm seriously I interested in both the electric motor and the hydrogen, but maybe it isn't necessary to have both.

The cruising version will generate 40 amps at 8 knots or so. I could stand for that kind of generating power.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 12:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Shearwater View Post
They use hydro because it is most efficient. They can generate 40 amps at 12 knots or so and considering these boats will average 13-14 for the entire circle that is a big bang for the buck. keeping in mind the weight savings due to less fuel they need now.

All of the boats have at last two generation sources. Some have all four (diesel, wind, solar, and hydro). One boat, Acciona, does not have a diesel engine, so all generation is from, water, wind, and solar. If he makes it, he will be the first sailboat to circumnavigate non-stop without an engine.

Clearly they are not perfect though.

Someone mentioned regeneration from the electric motor. What are max amps you can get that way, and at what speed? I'm seriously I interested in both the electric motor and the hydrogen, but maybe it isn't necessary to have both.

The cruising version will generate 40 amps at 8 knots or so. I could stand for that kind of generating power.
From all the failures and damage it seems to me the race is also the shakedown cruise. I did not realize this was a nonstop race all the more reason why I would want backups or at least some spare parts for the primary energy systems like the Hydro.

I'm sold on electric propulsion for my boat having just past the five year mark of having it installed. The amount of regen depends on a number of factors keel and prop location size, pitch etc... On my boat the system is primarily used for auxiliary propulsion. Regen is just a bonus if the conditions are right. For the first few years it was allusive thing to make happen. Then one day without even trying there it was:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ANOTHER ADVANTAGE OF ELECTRIC PROPULSION: REGEN
I can start getting the motor to regen at around 6 knots. It is minimal but, it is positive flow into the battery bank if you are sailing several hours it will add up. It also increases rapidly with boat speed. I also seem to notice wave action can pulse it up too. This summer I did see 100 plus watts on occasion. I'm still using the same 3 bladed prop I had when I had the diesel. So I might be able to improve on that if I want to spend the $ for a new prop optimized for electric propulsion and regen. My boat will also never be moving along at 19 knots either or even 12 (unless surfing down a wave). Personally I don't see the need for a hydro on my boat since I already have the regen availiable, solar, wind and Honda. I'm also not doing any extended round the world racing but, my experience with electric propulsion has been all positive. One nice thing I've found with EP is I start off having the prop turn just enough to negate the prop drag which is nice in light winds as the wind picks up the amps drop and eventually things move into regen mode. Saw 3 amps at 48 volts on one afternoon which was sweet. Of course it's just a drop in the bucket compared to what the Vendee guys are seeing with their Hydro units at 12 knots but, I was happy.
Old 20-11-2012, 13:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Mike, there are no stops, no help. Its up to the skipper to make repairs (with radio and internet assistance only) and if he even uses his anchor he will be penalized.
Deep Frz:

Thanks for the info. What a slog these guys going to be going through. My hats off to them. I was thinking as I watched the fellow repair the rudder brace. The boat was moving along at 19 knots if the boat hits something while he is busy making repairs he is going to go flying forward. That is going to hurt if not kill him depending what he hits. Yikes! Like wise he is not wearing a life jacket or tether. But, I guess if the boat is doing 19 knots and you fall over you are probably good as gone anyway. Being dragged by a tether at that speed will drown you pretty fast too I imagine. Not my kind of fun but, got to admire these guys for doing it.