Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 00:38   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Ideal Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If it will pour and burn, a turbine will run on it.
Diesel is fine

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I can imagine what the neighbors in the anchorage would say about a turbine generator running.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 00:42   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Mh,

if there is wind the wind generator makes enought current to drive air condition...washing machines just during day, if not sunny day, or not enought wind i can use the back up engine (in neutral) with the 200 amp alt, at the rpm i want/need...1000 rpm for cheap washing machines for some hours, 2000 rpm (4.000 at the alternator) for oven, hair dryeir and hot water and domestic heating, when the big load is over slow down, cool down, turn it of.

It's true all the big load are AC, for this i thought about an UPS inverter/battery charger with an ordinary AC genset..but for a bit more money and the same space you can get a second propulsion engine, second prop shaft and second propeller...
I've never seen a wind generator or solar installation on a boat which would drive air conditioning. Usable power in real conditions even of the big wind gens is usually in the tens of watts. Most boat air conditioning units need a kilowatt or two.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 00:42   #138

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

12 inch diameter exhaust fan....or 18 inch ?!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:27   #139

Look at this ! Sorry it's in french but Google translate will do the job.
You cna have either the full line including electrical engine, shaft, prop, batteries. Or just the kit to be put in parallel to your diesel engine.
We will be at the Dusseldorf boatshow together with this company, if you have the occasion to pass by...

H Power KIT - Bateau électrique - Electric boat - Naviwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
From my experience, serviced diesel engine dies from bad fuel only. Two engines will not save you. Twin filters with spare jerry can of good fuel will.

Monohulls have one engine, no prob. And for contigency I have sails, it is a light sail catamaran, after all.

One more convenience - the empty motor compartment can be the location for extra systems (inverter / watermaker / scuba /tools & spare parts ) conveniently located on the sides. With a comfortable seat in the middle to monitor or repair.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:39   #140

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Yes, very nice...in about year 1918 c.? a gentleman names Gates (Gates Rubber Co) invented the rubber 'V' belt.
V belts to drive a generator ??? Rubber Toothed drive is great for camshafts and everything on down. The belt on that motor sure looks old tech to me.
Im shocked at the technology.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:31   #141

Haha ! You are right, but the internal combustion engine has been invented before 1860 and still quite a few people are using it......
Even the wheel is a pretty old invention, do you see people using it still ?
Good inventions last for long and newest V-belts can transmit very high powers with good efficiency.

The boat you see in the picture equipped with those 2 electrical engines is making the World tour, these people are around the World since more than 1 year and all runs very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Yes, very nice...in about year 1918 c.? a gentleman names Gates (Gates Rubber Co) invented the rubber 'V' belt.
V belts to drive a generator ??? Rubber Toothed drive is great for camshafts and everything on down. The belt on that motor sure looks old tech to me.
Im shocked at the technology.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:51   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
Haha ! You are right, but the internal combustion engine has been invented before 1860 and still quite a few people are using it......
Even the wheel is a pretty old invention, do you see people using it still ?
Good inventions last for long and newest V-belts can transmit very high powers with good efficiency.

The boat you see in the picture equipped with those 2 electrical engines is making the World tour, these people are around the World since more than 1 year and all runs very well.
Apples with apples Sir.
We do not use reciprocating engines in the crude fashion of yesteryear, you know that.

And what may be of interest to you is that it is likely that the manufacturer of the I.C. engine we see here is using toothed belts to drive up to four camshafts. Just like a Ferrari or Merc does.
I detest cost cutting.
Yes, toothed belts need tensioners etc but a V belt on such fine machinery dissapoints this relic.
But I'm sure glad you posted it.
Happy days Bro Sis??
Old 11-01-2016, 04:28   #143

OK now I see better what you say, and I agree with you.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Apples with apples Sir.
We do not use reciprocating engines in the crude fashion of yesteryear, you know that.

And what may be of interest to you is that it is likely that the manufacturer of the I.C. engine we see here is using toothed belts to drive up to four camshafts. Just like a Ferrari or Merc does.
I detest cost cutting.
Yes, toothed belts need tensioners etc but a V belt on such fine machinery dissapoints this relic.
But I'm sure glad you posted it.
Happy days Bro Sis??
Old 11-01-2016, 04:38   #144

Hi Stefano,

get in touch with me with a private message and let me have more infos about your boat (shaft diam, gearbox, displacement, LWL, etc.). You don't need to spend so much money (my guess for now). We can provide you a better prop at lower price

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
No but the idea of

hydraulic motor coupled to the shaft propeller,

main engine with main hydraulic pump

small engine as generator (whatever 110 230 or 24 v dc) with a small hydraulic pump,

parallel system, in case main engine/pump fail, you can use your genset to move the boat.

(and even keep another engine as spare parts on board, impossible due the price and weight for whatever other applications like electrics or diesel)

I asked for a hundested propeller, 32 inch diameter, time ago to be coupled with a gardner 6lxb (127 hp at 1500 rpm), they answered me that is too small for their production...and i don't think it would be cheap ( a bruntons autoprop would have been 12k + vat, max prop 10 k plus vat..)
Old 11-01-2016, 05:34   #145

Hi Ewol props

It was a kind of old project, now i'm getting a bit (lot ) smaller...

Thanks however
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 14:10   #146

Grateful to you EWOL.
Old 11-01-2016, 15:24   #147

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Of course. My present boat is 24v and I wouldn't do it any other way.

A turbine? How would you marinize that? Run the exhaust? Separate fuel tank? Where would you buy jet fuel? Noise?

Hmmm, I don't actually find it hard to understand why no one uses these on boats

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
..Only problem with turbine as propeller is the big amount of gas they need to be enough efficient.. Even navy boats use a second small engine to move slow on ports and keep turbine shut off until they need power..
Gas turbine does not need raw water as common engines, you can forget about noise (very low) and vibration (zero). Problem is cost and again.. gas.. but a small one for generator.. it's possible..
Check this web.
Good luck!
Home | Microturbine Marine Energy
Old 11-01-2016, 16:00   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have no idea of what boats they are used in, but there are Marinized PT6's

But really, turbines on a sailboat ?

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:12   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have no idea of what boats they are used in, but there are Marinized PT6's

But really, turbines on a sailboat ?

DEAR Pilot. It is likely that one day you will return to planet Earth.
And when you do you'll discover that, in you life time, you will never see happen the stuff you are proposing other than on the largest vessels found on CF, like aircraft carriers eg.

Or were you just making my day a more 'smiley'one?
If so, thanks heaps.
Old 11-01-2016, 16:45   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are in fact "yachts" with gas turbines . . . Gas turbines and generator systems for yachts | Boat International

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/bene...urbine-engines

I worked for a while with GE's turbine business and they had a whole marine sub-business unit - mostly military, but definitely a significant super yacht business also (back before the recession when there were a bunch of super yachts built every year).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator