Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2018, 09:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Ideas for removable solar panel for small boat

Mount the panel on the rail with rail clamps and leave it there no need to remove it
The one on my islander has been thru many storm condition sails and was none the worse for wear.
And to properly pass the wires thru the deck
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Shakespe...xoCINoQAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0057.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	178932   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0046.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	178933  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shakespeare-4184.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	178934  
Old 14-10-2018, 09:41   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
with the price of the small Victron MPPTs coming down, something like this is worth considering. Add the dongle or USB widget
No need, already included in the SmartSolar line you linked to.
The old BlueSolar line were dongle-optional.
Just be aware these MPPT don't startup until panel V is 5V over the batt setpoint, and in such a narrow V window the increased output over PWM will be less than with higher voltage panels.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 14:32   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a C&C25 and added a solar panel (50 watt I think). The panel lived below, safely under a bunk cushion while sailing. When needed (like tied up at my home dock) I would put it in the cockpit. I put a 12volt (cigar style) outlet in the cockpit. I put a 12v male (cigar style) plug on the solar panel. So I could simply plug the solar panel directly into the 12volt system without having to run a new cable below. The output was so low it did not require a charge controller, but I could have added one below I guess.

It worked great. I thought it was very clever. And so did the thieves who helped themselves to my solar panel one night.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 17:26   #19

Boat: Oday 25

I have two group 24's and keep them up with a 50W solar panel and a simple $16 controler. The panel is wired directly to the controler, (no connectors) permanently. We just open the lazerrette and put the panel inside when sailing. When left on the mooring, the panel is just placed on the seat in the cockpit and a safety cord makes sure it stays in place. It's going on six years and the batteries are in real good condition so far
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 23:45   #20

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I can only tell you how I did mine aboard my trimaran. I mounted the panels on a frame--they could be lifted out easily once a few hold-down aluminium brackets bolted to 5 mm x 50 mm or similar frame bolted together with self-locking 316 stainless 5 mm bolts. My two panels came in four pieces, two hinged pairs--and I bolted the sides. The ends which had the handles I did not bother bolting. The frame was mounted on the coach house roof and extended out over the rear cabin top. A spanner and five minutes work and it all came off leaving just the frames.

The regulators were solar street lamp regulators, with a switch-on-at-night facility I connected to the masthead light, which was an LED array. I mounted the regulators on the bulkhead and ran from them the heavy leads to the battery. I had them in parallel with my mains charger wiring.

I ran the wires from the regulators out to the panels through a tank outlet fitting with an angle fitting screwed onto the outside end and turned down so that water did not enter. On the end of the cables to connect the panels were two Andersen plugs, safely out of the rain under the panels themselves. The panels had Anderson plugs too, fixed beneath them.

So--to remove them from the frames all I did was to undo the brackets and re-bolt them to the inside of the frame where they would not protrude and catch clothing etc, Undo the Anderson plugs and put the cables inside a small plastic box out of the weather under the frame--lift and fold the panels and put them back into their canvas cases.

Because they were expensive--I took them with me whenever I slipped the boat or would be absent for any length of time. They were a prime target for thieves who like them for camping out. So were gas bottles left unlocked. I lost two 4.5 kg bottles stolen from the ocean side--so the thieves came by boat.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 04:35   #21
cruiser

Not sure panel thieves are themselves doing much camping.

I personally would not stay in such a place, if I had choices.
Old 15-10-2018, 07:58   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The interesting part to me is the posters talking about having panels swollen are all home ported somewhere in Australia. Kinda speaks for itself . Great place to visit buy watch your butt .
Old 15-10-2018, 11:50   #23
cruiser

Yes campgrounds too, can't leave stuff unattended in many places.

They say it's genetic 8-)
Old 15-10-2018, 11:54   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes campgrounds too, can't leave stuff unattended in many places.

They say it's genetic 8-)
In the USA i think it may be a fear of being shot while trying to steal that is the deterent . Gotta love our second ammendment.
Old 18-10-2018, 06:35   #25

Boat: MacGregor 26

My concern with stern rail mounting is the swim ladder access. I’ll post some pics when I get back home. I bought a mast crutch and it mounts next to the rudder. I am not sure the tiller would clear the post if it’s place though. I was considering removing my rubber roller from the mast crutch and putting a mounting bracket on there for the panel. But it would be a single mounting point which would make me nervous about stability.

I did not consider damaging the panel with taking it down every time I sailed. I appreciate the advice. THe panel I have is certainly more than I need, but it’s not being used currently so i’d like to get it utilized. And I have a PWM charge controller.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 07:12   #26

Boat: Surprise

Aqua signal ?
Mouetterieuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 19:51   #27

So i’m Still meandering my way through this.

Today I bought a bus bar for the negatives. I have a new 12v panel with built in uSB chargers, volt meter, and a 12v outlet. Also bought some RV-style flush mount LED lights.

For the through-hull I bought some ancor deck seal style fittings. My wires are 0.25” and should fit well enough. I bought a battery disconnect switch to turn off the panel and will use a quick-connect to be able to disconnect the solar panel if
need-be. Going to use two Trojan 105 batteries.

Regarding the panels overcharging the batteries, I had that panel charging a battery for 2.5 years without a load and all units are working just fine. Should be OK.

A friend is going to make some brackets to mount my mast crutch firmly to the boat so it’ll support the solar panel. I’m planning to use a line to each side of the stern pulpit as an extra support while underway. May not need that though.

Boating season is coming too quickly
Old 03-03-2019, 05:46   #28

Boat: Freedom 32

I also have the Renogy 100W panel. It came with quick connect cables and and power control unit. Renogy sell the controller, cables and connectors separately on Amazon (HQST MC4 male/female solar panel connectors -5 pairs $6.99)

I have the same routine of setting up and putting away, which is a major pain. I'm on a 27 footer and that panel takes up too much space bellow. Fixing it to the side of the stern rail looks like the route I'm going to go, although it would work better if I had bought smaller panels.

Get the charge controller. It gives you info. about the charging rate, the voltage level of the batteries as well as errors such as faulty connections. It also has USB charge port and allows you to redirect the charge to something else without disconnecting the cables to the batteries.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:05   #29

Is this the controller you guys are suggesting?

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I like data and gadgets but I have a PWM controller that works. Hard to justify the price though it’s something i certainly want!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:09   #30

Boat: Oday 25

on our O day 25 we have a 50 watt solar panel permanently wired on 10 feet of loose wire to a fixed controller, and from there to our 2- 95 amp batteries. The panel goes into the lazerette when we sail and then we just take it out and drop the panel on a cockpit seat when the boat is moored. It's kept our batteries at full for the last 8 years, winter and summer.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, solar