Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 07:56   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Ideas for removable solar panel for small boat

Yes, that's a great choice, but they make many different sizes depending on your needs.

If you think that's expensive, and the PWM is working fine for you, then the choice is obvious.

That is super cheap for a good SC in my book, but different people have different needs.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:03   #32

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
on our O day 25 we have a 50 watt solar panel permanently wired on 10 feet of loose wire to a fixed controller, and from there to our 2- 95 amp batteries. The panel goes into the lazerette when we sail and then we just take it out and drop the panel on a cockpit seat when the boat is moored. It's kept our batteries at full for the last 8 years, winter and summer.
Have you noticed any issues with moving the panel so much? Your plan was my original idea but got nervous when it was mentioned that will destroy the panel. But frankly the annoyance of having the panel permanently mounted to my stern may be worth a little degradation of the panel over the years.

I like easy solutions that don’t require me drilling stainless. I can easily leave the panel in the cockpit and have good light when not at the boat.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:09   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

I have that exact Victron Controller 75/15.

I have a Renogy 50 Watt Panel tied to the stern railing with the wiring going thru the Cowling Vent. I also have a 65 Watt Panel lying on the Aft Lazarette Locker Lid. It's wiring goes thru the other side's cowling vent and both go to the Victron in parallel

I have two 20 watt panels that are stored in the side Lazarette Lockers while sailing. The two 20 watt panels hook to one of my old PWM controllers all charging two 12 volt batteries in parallel

I have drilled no holes nor bought any mounting hardware. They are tied on with leech line. The 65 watt panel has been this way for 8 years. It goes up and down every time I open the aft lazarette for gas etc. I have stood on it, dropped the lid hard, and sat on it, and it's still my best producing panel

When at anchor, all panels can be moved and aimed if needed

You can see the panels here. Unfortunately I didn't turn off the playlist before I filmed it. The second one is sailing across the bay a few hours earlier as the weather went from Sunny, warm and calm to cloudy, cool, and windy. Panels are seen in both

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 15:19   #34

The good thing about panels that are tied on is that you can easily move them.

All Winter I have used a 20 watt panel to charge the batteries. I have placed the panel in various places in the cockpit depending on the weather.

Now since my boat is back in the water, I have reinstalled my Renogy 50 Watt Panel and will add the rest as necessary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00213.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	187192   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00216.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	187193  

Name:	DSC00224.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	187194  
Old 04-03-2019, 16:03   #35
Marine Service Provider

any job done right should be left alone. while we are at it why dont you go out and change the air in your tires and pee into the wind.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 16:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
any job done right should be left alone. while we are at it why dont you go out and change the air in your tires and pee into the wind.
Lots of folks do the job right then leave it and their boat alone for years unused, but are happy that they did the job.

Do you want to sail and have power or just do projects?

As far as peeing into the wind, that is fine but be sure you do it downwind.

I plan to mount my solar controller(s) in the next few years also, but for the last 8, they are in various places in the lazarette locker held in place by the wires connected to the batteries and panels

Different day, different panel. (different color cockpit sole also)

Old 04-03-2019, 16:17   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
really ?
I have 2 x 100 watt rigid panels fix mounted and 2x100 watt flex panels to lay on deck as needed .
Old 04-03-2019, 16:59   #38

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a single battery on my C&C25. The boat used hardly used any power...a few (LED) lights, a fresh water pump, instruments, a fan, and the autohelm. I could go several days away from the dock before any noticeable voltage drop. And I had no charger. So I bought an inexpensive, smallish, 40 watt panel that was on half price at Canadian tire.

In the cockpit of my boat, I installed a female 12v power outlet. Automotive style, cigar type.

I cut the old connector off my autohelm 1000, and put on a male 12v auto style connector.

On the solar panel I put a male 12v auto style connector.

So now I had one outlet in the cockpit into which I could plug the autohelm, the solar panel, a spotlight, or any kind of auto charger for a phone.

I kept the solar panel below, tucked safely in the vee against the side of the boat, safe and secure while we sailed. And when I locked up the boat, I would put out the panel to charge the battery.

Great plan. It worked perfect. In fact it worked so well, that someone decided they should help themselves to my solar panel. So much for marina security...PORTSMOUTH OLYMPIC HARBOUR in Kingston Ontario Canada.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:06   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
really ?
I have 2 x 100 watt rigid panels fix mounted and 2x100 watt flex panels to lay on deck as needed .
There's another small boat sailor on here with a Bristol 27, that has 600 watts of solar he can deploy at anchor.

I'm not sure how much he uses while sailing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	solar2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	187224   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	187225  

Old 06-05-2019, 14:12   #40

Boat: MacGregor 26

so I went ahead and put two Trojan T-105 batteries in the boat and hooked it all up. I have watt meters between panels and batteries and between batteries and my breaker panel. Pretty cool.

Then today I noticed the system was showing 15.7V. Hrm. That's the same as the incoming voltage on my panels. Seems my renogy PWM controller wasn't controlling anything, just passing power through.

I went ahead and bought the Victron MPPT controller with blue tooth. Now I had a reason to buy it

I'm pretty excited to launch this week. I have the LED lights installed, bow nav light, two fans, stereo. Just put in the deck hardware for power to my mast. Really felt good to drill a 1" hole, fill it with resin, then redrill for the hardware.

I want a bigger, sturdier boat in time but this is a great boat to practice on.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, solar