Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2022, 20:01   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
If not GenuineDealz, then who?

I just placed an order to the "go to" marine wire vendor. A spool of 25' of #10, and 6 custom cables in sizes from #6 to 4/0. $130 order. Well, the next day, they send an email "shipped" and refunded me $93 of that order (4 of the 6 cables) without any explanation. My email query hasn't been answered, but it's only been a day.

I assume that they are either suffering from the logistics crisis, or going out of business. Either way, I don't have my cables!

I do NOT want to have them made locally. Every vendor I've talked with uses the hammer/punch method, and I want the proper hexagonal crimp. Maybe I don't know the right local vendors. Several have said they can do it, but not retail -- they only do it for their full service clients.

So, if GenuineDealz can't make cables any more, who can? Who's the next best on line vendor?

ARGH!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 20:09   #2

Re: If not GenuineDealz, then who?

sister site http://www.bestboatwire.com/custom-cables

https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/about_us

https://powerwerx.com/custom-dc-power-cables

https://www.windynation.com/Inverter...bles-with-Lugs
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 20:23   #3

BestBoatWire seems to share space with GenuinDealz. Same stock issues.
Gregs does not appear to do custom cables.
For a 3'8" 4/0 cable, Powererx wants $64 for what GD and BBW want around $40 -- but if I need it, I guess cost doesn't matter.
WindyNation doesn't seem to do custom cables.

OK, I'm being bitchy. You did provide one that can do it, even if it's a 50% premium -- if I extrapolate that across the entire $94 order that GD returned, it's only $50 and I get back to work. So I should be grateful. But it's late and I've had three glasses of wine...LOL.

Seriously, thanks. I'll touch base with them and verify their crimp technique.

I'm touchy on the crimp -- I had a 2/0 alternator cable on my 150A alternator, and burned both ends pretty badly this summer. The alternator end was probably related to the steel output stud getting hot. But the fuse end really looks like the hammer/punch crimp overheated to a charred mess. Burned the ANL fuse body right off, but somehow didn't melt the fuse (since its a 200A fuse on a 150A alternator, the fuse did what it is designed to do -- pass the current).
Old 01-02-2022, 20:36   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

But… why don’t you just buy the tool?! You can get perfect crimps at will and the cost is earned back first project!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 20:48   #5

It's tempting. But it's hard to earn back the cost of the tool ($120) on the first project when the entire order to GenunieDealz was $130 and the missing parts are only $90. Granted, when GD only charges $1/crimp, they are hard to beat!

But it's still tempting. Even if we are moving to a smaller house this summer.....
Old 02-02-2022, 06:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Gregs does not appear to do custom cables.

I appear to have either found the wrong Gregs, or didn't look hard enough. A Google search this morning took me back to Gregs (or to the "other" Gregs) and they not only do custom cables, their price is within a few percent of GD. Only problem is they do lengths in 6" increments, and on some of my orders that may be a problem. They even have 4/0 in Yellow (but no yellow for #6)! Not that anyone will ever confuse a 4/0 negative cable for a 110 Hot wire...LOL

On the total order, they charge $11 in shipping. And GD was 10% off for their "winter sale." So what was $90 at GD ends up at around $110, so $20 more. Not too bad, really.

I have a question in to them on crimp method.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:28   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

Buy the tool. "If you need a tool and don’t buy it, you pay for it without getting it." Supposedly a quote from Henry Ford.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sold by my bud Alan at Bay Marine, anyone buying from him should go direct give him some margin.

https://baymarinesupply.com

He and Justin are super helpful, great support for Victron, Sterling etc gear.

OP ask him for custom harness makers?

Alan Ferber
Bay Marine Supply
alan@BayMarineSupply.com
phone: 619-320-5899 x100

Alternatively, ask around locally, often shops / professionals are willing to let you use their tools, for a small fee ($5 a crimp?) or if they see you are a potential client
Old 02-02-2022, 07:30   #9

Boat: Hylas 49

If you buy the cable and connectors at Fawcett they will let you use the crimper that is behind the counter.

Pasco battery will make them, but the wire is not tinned.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
If you buy the cable and connectors at Fawcett they will let you use the crimper that is behind the counter.

Pasco battery will make them, but the wire is not tinned.

I spoke to Pasco some time back, and know they make them but don't recall anything else. While I'm not convinced about the value of tinned wire (my 1998 boat was built 100% with untinned wire -- and horrors, welding cable too! -- and I've seen no significant degradation), I'd still like to get it anyway. I have to wonder if ANY untinned wire meets UL Boat Cable spec.

Fawcett has loaned me their tool before. While it isn't the hammer/anvil, it is a mechanical version -- it uses a "pliers" to drive a dent into the side of the crimp. It is possible (my mind fades quickly) that the charred alternator cable was one I did with their tool.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:24   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
It's tempting. But it's hard to earn back the cost of the tool ($120) on the first project when the entire order to GenunieDealz was $130 and the missing parts are only $90. Granted, when GD only charges $1/crimp, they are hard to beat!

But it's still tempting. Even if we are moving to a smaller house this summer.....
I hesitated as well but once I had it, I couldn’t believe how stupid I was not buying it years earlier.

Bay Marine is a good supplier and I buy lugs and other materials there, but couldn’t pay $50 more ($170 instead of $120) for the crimp tool. I mean, Crimp Supply also have margin when they sell for $120 and they also have families to feed at home etc. etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:13   #12

Boat: Norseman 447

It’s been a while since I actually read the real spec for "boat cable," but being tinned wasn’t a requirement. Tinned wire was generally sold because it was easier to solder, but I wouldn’t ever solder battery cables. The welding cables that were OEM on my boat didn’t meet temperature or oil/chemical resistance requirements. Theoretically, the smaller wires in welding cable will corrode more quickly, but if it gets wet, all bets are off anyway. Mine still worked after 20 years when I replaced it all because it was too small.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:29   #13

Quote:
My email query hasn't been answered, but it's only been a day.

I assume that they are either suffering from the logistics crisis, or going out of business.

..... and I want the proper hexagonal crimp. Maybe I don't know the right local vendors. Several have said they can do it, but not retail -- they only do it for their full service clients.

So, if GenuineDealz can't make cables any more, who can?
You're making a lot of weird assumptions. There are lots of reasons to cancel orders. However, I would strongly urge you to call rather than E-mail.

It's weird that nobody will do compression crimps and will only do indent crimps. I'd buy the tool. I have one. They're not that expensive. You do need to make sure you're sizing your die correctly.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 19:28   #14

I still haven't heard from them, but I do understand more now. While the "custom cable tool" will let me place the order, the wire itself is all out of stock. As a rough guess, I'd say 50-70% of the various wire line items are "out of stock."
Old 02-02-2022, 20:18   #15

UL is just the spec / testing agency, obviously has thousands of standards.

No way I ever heard of any "boat cable" that did not require tinning, and I would not touch that.

Fine stranded is also a must also, UL1426 is the relevant spec afaic, as is a high temp rating, 105c minimum.