Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 10:07   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Improving on Shore Power Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are parked for months at a time, never leaving the slip, you probably don't need to adapt to other shore power sources...because you never cruise far enough to come across other power sources.

If you actually cruise with any regularity, it's going to be a big hassle rewire the cord every time you move unless you add some type of reel system, which tends to be expensive and bulky on smaller cruisng boats.

Finally the plug is usually the not the primary issue when you come up against a variety of volt/hz combinations.
Maybe I don't understand the reel but from what I can tell all that doe is provide an easy way to store and deploy the cord. Does nothing as far as rewiring or connecting to different systems.

As far as the hassle of rewiring, for a regular cruiser it would only be necessary on rare occasions when moving to a different part of the world. Certainly not a daily or even weekly or monthly job.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Maybe I don't understand the reel but from what I can tell all that doe is provide an easy way to store and deploy the cord. Does nothing as far as rewiring or connecting to different systems.

As far as the hassle of rewiring, for a regular cruiser it would only be necessary on rare occasions when moving to a different part of the world. Certainly not a daily or even weekly or monthly job.
You understand. That's all a reel would really do.

The problem with hard wiring, is it makes it difficult to stow (unless you install some sort of reel system).

Agreed, it's not a common issue to have to adapt to a new electrical system frequently but especially so for those who stay in a slip for months on end.

If you are going from the USA to Europe (or vice versa), your big issue is not which conductors connect but how to convert the voltage/hz to match your appliances.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 19:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Good info guys, thanks. I think the Hubble plug and rubber boot are BS. I now buy my plugs at Home Depot. I should say "plug" since I haven't had to buy one for years and that was for a fraction of the price of a Hubble. Yes, the locking ring is nice, so save the one off of your burned out Hubble and adapt it to the Home Depot version but make sure it can breath. I don't attempt to "water-proof" them with a phony boot. All the Hubble (and other) boots do is trap moisture so it won't evaporate. Every one I've had shorted out quickly because of this. Rain water is fresh water and will not conduct electricity. Any moisture that gets near the contacts quickly evaporates. If you wash the salt off your boat and wipe the receptacle dry before plugging in your shore power you won't have burned out plugs. If you have a new Hubble cut off the rubber boot, it will probably last almost as long as a Home Depot one for fifteen bucks. Capt. Jack
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:25   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The answer is simple,. The US needs to dump the nonsense that passes for shore power plugs and adopt IEC 60309 system as we do. Big beefy connectors, never any issues
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The answer is simple,. The US needs to dump the nonsense that passes for shore power plugs and adopt IEC 60309 system as we do. Big beefy connectors, never any issues
So are shore power plugs standardized at marinas throughout the EU (unlike the plugs in the hotels)? Just wondering if I'll need a bag full of adapters, parts and spare plugs for the boat like I do when I'm on land.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:27   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I don't see that as being simple at all. It would take many years to change all the marinas and many dollars. And in the meantime, boaters would have to travel with a box of adapters.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

The Smartplug is a huge improvement but not likely to see that on many marina pedestals in my lifetime.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:05   #23

Boat: Hunter 460

What is it that those of you commenting on the SmartPlug like about it? I just purchased my boat last month. It has the SmartPlug for the boat side connections and both of them have shorted out. I was reading this thread trying to determine what would be best to replace them with. Do I really want to buy two more?

Thanks.
Brian
txh2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:38   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh2oskier View Post
What is it that those of you commenting on the SmartPlug like about it? I just purchased my boat last month. It has the SmartPlug for the boat side connections and both of them have shorted out. I was reading this thread trying to determine what would be best to replace them with. Do I really want to buy two more?

Thanks.
Brian
To determine the problem would require more specific information. Can you clarify what you mean by shorted out?

If you truly mean a short then that is much more serious problem than the plug and needs to be addressed.

Was it corrosion on the plug causing a bad connection that overheated the plug itself? If that was the case then not a fault of the plug. No electrical connection can work well if not clean and maintained.

Any pictures?
Old 18-02-2015, 06:04   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Also, to answer your question why the Smartplug is better.

- There is a larger, more secure contact area between the prongs of the Smartplug compared to the standard marine plugs. Better connection, less resistance, less heat, reduced risk.

- The Smartplugs lock together so there's no strain on the prongs where the cord plugs into the boat.

Probably some more but these two are enough for me.
Old 18-02-2015, 09:53   #26

Boat: Hunter 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
To determine the problem would require more specific information. Can you clarify what you mean by shorted out?

If you truly mean a short then that is much more serious problem than the plug and needs to be addressed.

Was it corrosion on the plug causing a bad connection that overheated the plug itself? If that was the case then not a fault of the plug. No electrical connection can work well if not clean and maintained.

Any pictures?
After having read another thread on this topic by s/v Jedi (a review of the SmartPlug), I feel pretty certain the PO or the guy that replaced the plug(s) (one had to be replaced for the sea trial a month ago) didn't install the plugs properly. In one case the three plastic fingers that are supposed to hold the cable had melted. It sounds like it takes some effort to get the cable through those fingers but they are important in order to keep the cable in place.

I'm convinced now to stay with the SmartPlug, thanks for your response.

Brian
txh2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 10:28   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh2oskier View Post
After having read another thread on this topic by s/v Jedi (a review of the SmartPlug), I feel pretty certain the PO or the guy that replaced the plug(s) (one had to be replaced for the sea trial a month ago) didn't install the plugs properly. In one case the three plastic fingers that are supposed to hold the cable had melted. It sounds like it takes some effort to get the cable through those fingers but they are important in order to keep the cable in place.

I'm convinced now to stay with the SmartPlug, thanks for your response.

Brian
One trick in the installation. The stripped end of the wire goes into a small hole in the Smartplugs and you tighten a small screw to clamp the wire in place. The directions tell you "do not loosen the screw too much before inserting the wire". P

ay close attention. If you loosen the screw too much the wire clamp inside the plug falls off and it is almost impossible to get it back on.to the screw.

Ask me how I know.
Old 18-02-2015, 10:58   #28

Boat: Valiant 42

So they don't use the "ancient" method of flaring the threads at the end of the screw. That makes it hard to back the screw all the way out. Electrical devices have had that feature for probably 75 years.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 11:03   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
So they don't use the "ancient" method of flaring the threads at the end of the screw. That makes it hard to back the screw all the way out. Electrical devices have had that feature for probably 75 years.
No kidding. About the only complaint I can think of for the Smartplug. Especially since the clamps are sealed inside the body of the plug so no way to get the little clamp piece back onto the screw except by jiggling and balancing, kind of like one of the old kids puzzles with little ball bearings inside a plastic case.

The screws might have some very minor thread spreading or something on the end but not enough that I noticed when opening up the gap.

Tags
shore power