Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2022, 04:40   #16

Re: Induction Hot Plate Startup Wattage?

Ok any more testimonials to the minimum "pulse wattage" for low heat operation? So far I've seen 600-700 & 800.
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 10:14   #17

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMT View Post
For those of you with induction hot plates, what wattage does it start up at? I did some brief reading and it appears they start at a set wattage even if you just want low heat (at least the model I looked at).

Reason I'm asking is I make alot of excess power from solar, but only have a 1000w inverter. I noticed those induction hot plates can be had for only $55. Unlike some solar maximalists, I'm not obsessive about trying to eliminate the $60-80 dollars per year I probably spend on propane. So i'm definitely not willing to spend $$$ for a bigger inverter just for that purpose. For one thing, i don't imagine it would be particularly good pulling 1800 watts (for high heat) out of my lead acid batteries. However, I do think the lil gadget would be useful to simmer some rice off to the side on the counter because my wok is too big to use the other burners at the same time. Also, i cook my eggs and bacon on low every morning, so it would be good for that. But I need to know the start up watts to determine if it's feasible for me.
Bacon, cooks on LOW?
Eggs ,bacon, cannot be cooked at the same temp.
Eggs cooked ,bacon raw!
Side note, sorry.

Rice cookers come in various sizes, everyone we have used is 300 to 500 watts.
Plugged in, off to the side of your cook top.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 10:23   #18

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A completely uninformed piece of typical TV sensationalism. Not a hope in hell that express cruiser had a proper propane locker. The firefighter mentioned tank venting as a problem. That doesn't pose a problem with a proper propane locker.

There is no excuse for the stupidity of hauling a propane tank into the cockpit of a gasoline powered motor boat. Blame the idiot, not the propane.

PS. BoatUS claims data suggests electricity is more dangerous than propane.
Exactly, respect it!
Remember, Propane doesn't kill!
People abusing Propane Kill.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote