Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2009, 17:33   #16

Boat: Irwin 40
John can I ask why you want to do this? I just do not understand what you are trying to do and why? Are you trying to put a rapid charge back in your batteries? If so why?

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 18:04   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I think he is saying that he will be very concientious about monitoring the batteries as they are being charged so they won't gas too much. By putting a relay in, he will limit the time the charger is on.

In short he is looking for a fast charge.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 23:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
John can I ask why you want to do this? I just do not understand what you are trying to do and why? Are you trying to put a rapid charge back in your batteries? If so why?
Thanks for the replys and I understand why people would be nervous about this and rightly so. Its not an idea that that can be taken lightly as there is a real chance of doing damage if its not all set up correctly and monitored.

My batteries are 2v forktruck batteries. which I have set up with a single point watering system. They never get hot even when putting 130a into them.

The reason I want to do this is to limit the time I have to run the generator when at anchor. I would like to get it under 1 hr a day, at the moment i need 1.5 hrs which is a bit too long for me.

The typical week at anchor senario means that my batteries run from 60% to 85%. This is the range in which i can input the most amps under generator. And it is within this range that I want to use the extra 40 amps. This is the only time the extra 40 amps will be used.

The charge back to 100% is either done under motor or propshaft alternator when sailing or back at the dock. I have no wind or solar.

Thanks very much to the replys
John
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 15:34   #19
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Thanks for the input all. I'm still without a converter , but really don't need one. I have 400 watts of solar and a wind gen. With 600 amp hrs in 8 batteries nothing happens fast. The power supply would be used on the rare occasions when we have a slip, and were onboard. We shut off all shore power, water and thruhulls whenever we leave the boat. The comparable output Marine chargers I've seen were so rediculously priced they weren't cost effective for us.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote