Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 11:02   #1

Installing 6 100w panels should I use 1 charge controller or 3?

Panels are ordered and on their way but I’m wrestling with the idea of going with 3 Victron 100/20’s vs one larger controller. I have a 12 volt system and all 6 panels will be mounted on my arch. Just wondering what the pros and cons may be before I order.
I am thinking the three (1 controller per 2 100w panels) will add redundancy and ease of install vs a controller for each panel. Also if part of the array is shaded it may add some benefit by not bringing down the amps of the whole array?

TIA
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:09   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Installing 6 100w panels should I use 1 charge controller or 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Panels are ordered and on their way but I’m wrestling with the idea of going with 3 Victron 100/20’s vs one larger controller. I have a 12 volt system and all 6 panels will be mounted on my arch. Just wondering what the pros and cons may be before I order.
I am thinking the three (1 controller per 2 100w panels) will add redundancy and ease of install vs a controller for each panel. Also if part of the array is shaded it may add some benefit by not bringing down the amps of the whole array?

TIA
I agree with your thinking. It will be more efficient and more fault/shade-tolerant. If you want even greater efficiency, wire them into 3 (series-wired) pairs -- one pair per MPPT controller. Your controllers will be able to step down the voltage and operate more efficiently. Also, you will get less voltage drop on the same diameter wires by having the long runs at higher voltage (or you can use smaller gauge wires for equivalent voltage drop and it will be easier to route them).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels