Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 09:05   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Installing a fuel polishing system

The dual Racor setup was for when I get that load of garbage fuel, cause I know it will happen. It's also why I keep a dozen filter cartridges on hand too.
But you can change a Racor if it's accessible in less time than it takes to drink a beer.
Just a different way to skin a cat I guess, I do acknowledge that one day I will need an excessive filtering capacity for that load of dirty fuel.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:08   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
originally posted by a64pilot:
None of the instances I have had fuel polishing would have helped as I have not had a rash of clogged filters.
That is an assumption and you know what that is. I didn't have a clogged filter either. I had a clogged fuel line at the elbow. But I guess you like unclogging fuel lines. Fair winds and calm seas to you.

Before anyone can answer the OP's question we need to know the make and model number and current capacity of the switch and also the power requirement of your pump. But if you can post those you can answer your own question.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:22   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
a64pilot, what does the bottom and sides of your tank look like? If you ever have a fuel line plugged in a seaway you will become a believer. At least I am.
Remember, the OP said his tank is maybe only 16 gallons. My guess is a64pilot was thinking about that in the determination! A polisher wont change the bottom and the sides any way... that stuff is stuck on and simply polishing slowly without scrubbing or pressure scrubbing wont remove it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:24   #34

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...cleaning the pick up tube once every three years as it takes all of about 3 min to do...

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the best way to clean the pick-up tube? I recently had a problem with high vacuum pressure at the pre-filter (a Racor 900), which largely went away when switching to the other tank. This led me to think about a possible clog in the pickup tube. I did get both tanks cleaned, the fuel polished, and biocide added as the boat had been sitting a long time, with large tanks (275 gal between the primary and auxilliary), but that might not resolve a clogged pick-up and I'd like to be prepared if the problem comes back.

Do you need to remove the tube, clean it out, and reinstall? Or is there a simpler way? Since you say it took 3 minutes, I suspect you did not need to remove the tube in your case. Also, what is a reasonable pressure reading on the gauge when the engine is running?

Thanks,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:30   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the best way to clean the pick-up tube? I recently had a problem with high vacuum pressure at the pre-filter (a Racor 900), which largely went away when switching to the other tank. This led me to think about a possible clog in the pickup tube. I did get both tanks cleaned, the fuel polished, and biocide added as the boat had been sitting a long time, with large tanks (275 gal between the primary and auxilliary), but that might not resolve a clogged pick-up and I'd like to be prepared if the problem comes back.

Do you need to remove the tube, clean it out, and reinstall? Or is there a simpler way? Since you say it took 3 minutes, I suspect you did not need to remove the tube in your case. Also, what is a reasonable pressure reading on the gauge when the engine is running?

Thanks,
David
David, first make sure the vent line is working on the tank in question.

Old 23-10-2016, 09:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
David, first make sure the vent line is working on the tank in question.

Funny, I had that thought myself just a few minutes ago. How do I check that? Disconnect the vent line from the top of the tank and blow air through it? Some other better method? Really appreciate any advice :-)

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 23-10-2016, 09:41   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
originally posted by Cheechako:
A polisher wont change the bottom and the sides any way... that stuff is stuck on and simply polishing slowly without scrubbing or pressure scrubbing wont remove it.
Absolutely scrub out the tank when you install the fuel polisher. Just like was mentioned in one of Kenomac's posts. A polisher is meant to prevent future buildup and to keep the tank clean. The manual scrubbing is meant to solve the initial problem.

Edit: a64pilot may change his mind if his fuel line plugs in a busy seaway. That 3 minutes may seem like an eternity.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:59   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Anyway to answer the OP question, how about a relay powered by the ignition but taking power directly from the switch board. Fitting a switch to the ignition to relay will give you the option to turn it off if needed due to a leak.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 10:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
My advice is to install a timer switch. Then you can turn it on when you want and let it turn itself off.
^^^^^^ What he said
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 10:07   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Funny, I had that thought myself just a few minutes ago. How do I check that? Disconnect the vent line from the top of the tank and blow air through it? Some other better method? Really appreciate any advice :-)

-David
If your engine has been running a while, or if you are currently experiencing the problem, open the fill cap while it's running, if the vent is clogged, you will experience a vacuum sound as you open the fill cap. Sometimes little bees build a mud clog inside the vent fitting on the hull.

Old 23-10-2016, 10:11   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Because the fuel tends to sit in the tanks for a long time compared to trucks and cars, and some fuel docks don't have the same turn over of their supply as a truck stop, making it more likely you'll purchase contaminated fuel.
Perhaps in some quiet backwater but in a busy area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you don't believe a proper polishing system works, then by all means don't install one. But nearly everyone we know who hasn't istalled a system (which is most people), eventually complains of having contaminated fuel in their tanks at some point, and then pays more than the price of a fuel polishing system to have the mess cleaned up. The choice is yours.
I suspect that anyone who fits any sort of fuel polishing is more aware of the possible problems than those who cruise for years in blissful ignorance. Therefore they are likely to choose higher turnover pumps or buy from road garages and ensuring that fuel filler cap seals are actually keeping the water out of the tank which causes the problem rather than solve it afterwards.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 11:47   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My dip tube simply screws into a bung on the top of the tank. Disconnect the hose and unscrew it to remove. If it is a bear to get out you can usually blow high pressure air through it backwards, that of course only blows the clog back into the tank and it may get sucked back into the tube.
I have three tanks on my boat one fuel one water and of course the holding tank. When I got her all three vents were clogged by dirt robbers and I got to deal with that on delivery
Old 23-10-2016, 12:13   #43

My boat has an RCI Fuel Purifier mounted on a bulkhead in the engine room, but it's not connected to anything. I believe I could use it as part of a polishing system. Does anyone have any experience with these devices?

-David
Old 23-10-2016, 15:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The dual Racor setup was for when I get that load of garbage fuel, cause I know it will happen. It's also why I keep a dozen filter cartridges on hand too.
But you can change a Racor if it's accessible in less time than it takes to drink a beer.
Just a different way to skin a cat I guess, I do acknowledge that one day I will need an excessive filtering capacity for that load of dirty fuel.
I could not change my Racor in the time to drink beer a few months ago when it closed up in a large river entrance full of sand bars with 5-6 ft waves wind against tide in a hot engine room with a small diesel spill making the need for three hands to hang on let alone the hands needed to change the filter.

I needed the beer when we dropped the pick though.

Cheers
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 15:19   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Installing a fuel polishing system

Then I would suggest the dual Racor setup, you can turn a handle quickly?
Fuel polishing is not going to make it so a filter never clogs, you guys know that right?

On edit, monitoring the vacuum occasionally will give you advance warning too.

Tags
fuel