Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2022, 15:53   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Installing a VSR specifically for solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
What?

You do realize a charger plugged into an inverter is nonsense, right?
My yacht is on the hard (under construction).

The House Bank is fully charged by the solar panels. (There is no draw on the House Bank )

As the Starting Bank doesn't get any charge at all (from any source) the batteries will gradually lose charge.

"DO: Keep the battery as fully charged, as often as possible. No, these batteries do not develop a "memory" like some nickel-cadmium based batteries. Severely discharging and leaving the battery discharged can cause harm and shorten life in AGM batteries."

https://lifelinebatteries.com/blog/4...ep-it-durable/

That is why I want to use my 12V/24V battery charger (plugged into the inverter) to charge the Starting Bank batteries.

Do you have a problem with that?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 16:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I agree, but if it's only powered on for occasional use when the boat hasn't seen shorepower or any meaningful engine runtime in a few weeks, it's not so bad. As long as nothing is drawing from the start battery when the engine is off, continuous charging shouldn't be necessary.

In my situation do you have a better solution?

(I'd be interested if you have)
Old 19-11-2022, 17:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
In my situation do you have a better solution?

(I'd be interested if you have)

Sure, hook up the VSR between the two banks never use the charger off the inverter.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 18:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sure, hook up the VSR between the two banks never use the charger off the inverter.

Thanks Stu.

I'll go ahead with installing the VSR as suggested.
Old 19-11-2022, 18:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Thanks Stu.

I'll go ahead with installing the VSR as suggested.
your post said you already had one. and want to add a 2nd one. I'm still not sure what you are trying to do...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 21:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
your post said you already had one. and want to add a 2nd one. I'm still not sure what you are trying to do...

That is correct.

In my original post I said:
"Now that I am considering using an additional VSR purely for the solar panels"

I have a VSR specifically set aside for the engine alternator. The second VSR will be for the solar panel output.

My googling indicates other boaties have solved the problem in similar ways. This guy (see below) is using a "PV Logic dual battery MPPT controller" which costs £145 whereas my VSR will cost £18

"I recently installed a PV Logic dual battery MPPT controller, prioritising the domestic battery which it charges to 70% and then is meant to charge both batteries simultaneously. The manual states: "Please note this battery [Battery 2] must be on a separate electrical circuit and not connected back to 'Battery 1' in any way." It doesn't provide any warnings about what may follow if this happens".
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...nd-vsr.589894/
Old 19-11-2022, 22:24   #22

the vsr goes between the engine battery and house battery. you only need one.

the solar will connect to the house battery. and vsr will send it to the eng batt

if the alt connects to the engine battery. the same vsr will send alt power from the eng batt to the house battery.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 22:56   #23

Boat: Nordic 44

To Coopec43:

Just looking at your proposed VSR, supposedly rated at 100 amps 24 volts, there is no way that the wiring connections on that VSR as capable of handling 100 amps. There is also no way to make a 100 amp VSR for12 dollars.

From your responses it is apparent that you do not have the electrical knowledge to wire your boat. That may sound harsh but it is obvious. Before you set fire to your boat get a professional to deal with it. Alternatively you can back away from this until you have educated yourself on electrical systems.

You have also confused several knowledgeable posters by saying that you want to power your inverter from a battery charger or power your battery charger from the inverter. Here again you are demonstrating a lack of basic electrical knowledge.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 23:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
To Coopec43:

Just looking at your proposed VSR, supposedly rated at 100 amps 24 volts, there is no way that the wiring connections on that VSR as capable of handling 100 amps. There is also no way to make a 100 amp VSR for12 dollars.

From your responses it is apparent that you do not have the electrical knowledge to wire your boat. That may sound harsh but it is obvious. Before you set fire to your boat get a professional to deal with it. Alternatively you can back away from this until you have educated yourself on electrical systems.

You have also confused several knowledgeable posters by saying that you want to power your inverter from a battery charger or power your battery charger from the inverter. Here again you are demonstrating a lack of basic electrical knowledge.

My electrical wiring is working fine so far:
• 24V Bilge pumps, anchor winch, HWS, Fridge, starter, inverter, blowers, solar panels.
• 12V lighting, fans
• 240V microwave (plus power points).

I am aware that you are giving advice from 15,000 away so I'll bite my tongue and be very polite! (You no doubt mean well)

There are no "professionals" within 80km of the yacht but I do intend getting a professional to wire up the alternator/VSR when I transport the yacht to the marina.

And I do intend getting a professional to do the LPG plumbing (required for insurance)

And I do intend getting a survey done (once again for insurance).

As far as charging the starting battery from a battery charger plugged in to the inverter other knowledgeable people on this thread have agreed that can be done to stop the starting battery crapping itself because of lack of charge.
Old 20-11-2022, 03:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the vsr goes between the engine battery and house battery. you only need one.

the solar will connect to the house battery. and vsr will send it to the eng batt

if the alt connects to the engine battery. the same vsr will send alt power from the eng batt to the house battery.
Only if it is two-way, sensing the trigger current from both sides.

Many such devices are not, especially cheap ones.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 03:11   #26

There is nothing inherently wrong with powering an inverter from a constantly full, large capacity House bank

and feeding a small quality smart charger from that inverter to occasionally top up a much smaller Starter battery that has no other charge sources available.

Sure it is a kludgey workaround to handle an unusual exigency, and electrically very inefficient.

Would y'all suggest a genset be run instead when there is more than enough surplus solar going to waste?

Yes a DCDC would be more "elegant", but also overkill for this specific use case.
Old 20-11-2022, 03:15   #27

OP, the biggest red flag to me about your electrickery ignorance, is the fact that you are willing to install such obviously cheap shoddy gear into your boat's system.

Only use devices that have been proven by community members with more knowledge and experience.

Insurance can refuse to cover your resulting fires otherwise
Old 20-11-2022, 03:31   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
To Coopec43:

I hope you won't be offended but when I read

"Just looking at your proposed VSR, supposedly rated at 100 amps 24 volts, there is no way that the wiring connections on that VSR as capable of handling 100 amps. There is also no way to make a 100 amp VSR for12 dollars.

I realized your understanding of VSRs is zero.(I won't take you up on your other assertions)

I'm still educating myself on VSRs and in the process came across this excellent video clip which I'd like to share with you (No offense?)

Old 20-11-2022, 03:36   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Only if it is two-way, sensing the trigger current from both sides.

Many such devices are not, especially cheap ones.

Yes thanks for that. That's something I learned today! The video I have just posted brushes on that.

Actually I want to watch their follow-up VSR video where they include solar panels (but I haven't been able to find it)
Old 20-11-2022, 03:42   #30

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums....php?p=3708602

Tags
solar, solar panels, panels, cal