Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2020, 15:41   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Installing new light fixture with pigtails

I use adhesive lined, heatshrink, crimp but splices as well as in other configurations like rings and pin. Once you have crimped and heat shrunk it, the joint will last for ever and that end of the 2 wires is hermatically sealed. If as is often the case, the fitting wires are really small gauge, shrink a short length of heatshrink tubing on the joint end to bulk out the diameter to get a good seal and provide the wire with some strain relief.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:11   #17

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

A corollary FWIW.

I recently encountered an issue when I ordered some replacement LED bulbs for my fixtures. It turned out the particular bulbs I got are polarity specific; they only worked in the fixtures where the positive was wired to the bottom of the fixture. They are standard e26 bases (screw in type) that I got from a company called Wattalight.com.

The company is very receptive to returns, but in this case I think I will just reverse the wiring since they are in Canada and it might cost half again as much for me to return them. The lights look good and they were about half price of Dr LED or Luna Sea, although I don't believe either of the latter two are polarity specific.

There may be more lights out there that are polarity specific (and not stated so on the website - the drawback to Wattalight), but if you are wiring the fixtures from scratch, it may be best to try to wire them all up with the positives in the middle location, but I have no idea if other lights might have a specificity in the opposite direction.

Just my 2 cents

Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:02   #18

Boat: O'Day 40

All screw in and single contact bayonet fixtures should be wired so the centre contact is hot to reduce the chance of a short.