Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 06:27   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Installing serial solar panels

Dotdun aparently you nor anyone else actually read the files you linked to for the renogy panels. The pdf states that there are 2 bypass diodes in the junction box . ( which are also blocking diodes) . These are the panels I install most of.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:30   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

People here is the answer to all of the voltage at junction issues you seem to not get or state . Differing voltages will equalise to a common aparent voltage when hooked together at a node. Jm2cw.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:34   #123

Boat: 44 footer

Question, as I bought a pair of the reonogy panels to play with as well...

I've been having a hard time finding manuals that list what the lowest input voltage is of MPPT controllers. Lots of information in white papers for low-low dc voltage boost controller information on the web, but they are set up for charging 9v batteries with < 10watt panels...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a charge controller that even lists the input voltage cut-off?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:52   #124
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Sometimes you make perfect sense and sometimes not, like above. But can you recognize what's wrong?
The reference statement is 100% correct if there are no bypass diodes. If there at bypass diodes, each panel in series can deliver different current.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:55   #125

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Dotdun aparently you nor anyone else actually read the files you linked to for the renogy panels. The pdf states that there are 2 bypass diodes in the junction box . ( which are also blocking diodes) . These are the panels I install most of.
Please explain how a the 2 diodes are connected such that they serve as both bypass and blocking functions.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59   #126
cruiser

Quote:
People here is the answer to all of the voltage at junction issues you seem to not get or state . Differing voltages will equalise to a common aparent voltage when hooked together at a node. Jm2cw.
Dude, that is what I have been stating for 3 days now. Only Dot doesn't get it.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:03   #127
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Please explain how a the 2 diodes are connected such that they serve as both bypass and blocking functions.
They pass current in the forward direction and lock it in reverse. The panel impedance typically blocks reverse current naturally.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:04   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Dude, that is what I have been stating for 3 days now. Only Dot doesn't get it.
Rod no you havent said that exactly. You have to remember sometimes its not what you say but how you say it. (I did read between the lines with all these posts any you did say that but not with these exact words. )
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16   #129

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
They pass current in the forward direction and lock it in reverse. The panel impedance typically blocks reverse current naturally.
ARGH!!! This is getting difficult. In the context of solar panels, bypass diodes and blocking diodes serve 2 different functions and are connected in the circuit differently. A single diode CANNOT serve both purposes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blocking.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	148918  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:17   #130

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Get over it, shaded solar panel turns into a power sucker when installed in parallel ie there's no effective voltage to equalize. In the presense of blocking diodes there's no common node becouse the shaded panel is effectively open circuit.
Bypass diodes and blocking diodes are the same components but the first one wired parallel and second one in series with the PV string ie one cannot replace another.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:51   #131
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Get over it, shaded solar panel turns into a power sucker when installed in parallel ie there's no effective voltage to equalize. In the presense of blocking diodes there's no common node becouse the shaded panel is effectively open circuit.
Bypass diodes and blocking diodes are the same components but the first one wired parallel and second one in series with the PV string ie one cannot replace another.

BR Teddy
OMG.
2 solar panels connected in parallel create 2 common nodes.
One at the positive connection, one at the negative connection.

The panel presents a high impedance to the circuit. If there is
sunlight on the panel it becomes a voltage source and
develops a voltage across it which passes current through it directly proportional to the amount of sunlight up to the panel limit (which is sorta a fixed value but not really).

The voltage between the common nodes is one and the same. Has to
be; it is a parallel circuit. If one panel is shaded, current passed (in the positive direction only) drops. The voltage between the common nodes may change slightly, but it is still a common node. One voltage. A common node can't be two different voltages at the same time, nor can current travel in opposite directions at the same time. They either contribute or negate. Because a panel that isn't contributing current presents a high impedance to one that is, the shaded panel can't negate (unless there is something wrong with it)

This is solar panels 101, first lesson. If after 3 days of discussion you still don't get it, I have to accept you may never.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:09   #132
cruiser

Quote:
Rod no you havent said that exactly. You have to remember sometimes its not what you say but how you say it. (I did read between the lines with all these posts any you did say that but not with these exact words. )
I have said it in so many different ways I can't count that high and still the same incorrect response.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:59   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Question, as I bought a pair of the reonogy panels to play with as well...

I've been having a hard time finding manuals that list what the lowest input voltage is of MPPT controllers. Lots of information in white papers for low-low dc voltage boost controller information on the web, but they are set up for charging 9v batteries with < 10watt panels...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a charge controller that even lists the input voltage cut-off?
This is a good question, and I don't have an answer for you.

So, the reason I replied is to warn you about a potential problem with the Renogy panels. When I was doing the testing described earlier, I noticed that one of my panels was not behaving properly with partial shading. It turned out that the mid-string connection to the bypass diodes was not properly soldered. The two bypass diodes connected from panel (+) to panel (-), but the midpoint connection was open.

This doesn't affect the unshaded panel output in any way, but the panel effectively has one string of 36 cells with a double-diode bypass. It could make a difference in a serial panel connection. It will be easy enough to fix that open connection, I just need my heavy-duty soldering iron.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 13:16   #134
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
This is a good question, and I don't have an answer for you.

So, the reason I replied is to warn you about a potential problem with the Renogy panels. When I was doing the testing described earlier, I noticed that one of my panels was not behaving properly with partial shading. It turned out that the mid-string connection to the bypass diodes was not properly soldered. The two bypass diodes connected from panel (+) to panel (-), but the midpoint connection was open.

This doesn't affect the unshaded panel output in any way, but the panel effectively has one string of 36 cells with a double-diode bypass. It could make a difference in a serial panel connection. It will be easy enough to fix that open connection, I just need my heavy-duty soldering iron.
Reno you has a recall on 100 W semi flex. Not your panel model but maybe same issue?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:41   #135
cruiser

Quote:
Reno you has a recall on 100 W semi flex. Not your panel model but maybe same issue?
Reno you = Renogy after iPhone auto spell correct.

Tags
panels, serial, solar, solar panels