Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2021, 06:37   #31

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Installing solar panels on railings

I ran across this, the other day, which is a style of mounting I'd not seen:

Top-of-pole Marine Solar Panel Mounting System

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 09:51   #32

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I have posted pictures and diagrams of the solar panel mounts mentioned in a previous post. I put them in the Photos - Life Onboard category.

Probably should have used the Equipment category but didn't see it at the time and don't know how to delete pictures once they are posted to Photos.
Old 14-02-2021, 13:17   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

4:30 into this vlog is an interesting idea for locking the panels when mounted on the guard rails.

https://www.bosunsupplies.com/S3684-0000.html
https://www.bosunsupplies.com/7-8-In...art-Slide.html
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 06:46   #34

Hi
We used these flexible brackets from Noa
https://www.oceanchandlery.com/noa-adjustable-solar-panel-mounts.html
Zolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 07:59   #35

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I've used nylon/plastic mounts for two 130 watt panels on the sides of the pushpit. Worked fine on a TransPac with the panels held horizontal when needed by a stick. Another boat here had a similar arrangement but ran into problems in the Channel between Molokai and Oahu with classic wind against current waves. The panels came through fine but his support posts got washed away.

Biggest problem is the plastic clamps deteriorate in sunlight over time. Takes many years but they will crack eventually. Fortunately the ones I have still keep the panels attached to the rail even after cracking.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...lamps--5142070
white plastic succumbs to uv, black way outast them.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 08:12   #36

I've got 2 X 100 watt Renogy panels mounted on the stern rails. I found most of the parts on Defender.com, and bought quite a few listed from Gemini. Gemini parts are stainless steel and expensive, but the quality is very high and you don't have to worry about them deteriorating with age.
Previously I tried mounting them mid-ships and on the bimini top, but there's too much shading in those locations which seriously degrades performance. Minimal shading back on the stern.
captain_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 08:21   #37

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

I would question or pose that with today's solar panels adjustments to panels for optimum angles is not as necessary as was needed with older panels.

I installed 3-220W Xantrex Flex panels on our bridge roof and am amazed at the output, even while in a slip with a roof on each side.

You probably want to make sure that you aren't getting any obstructions, masts, sails, flags that would throw a shadow, block the panels, but an area, even with a bow, bimini top, will probably work well.

Haven't figured yet how to post a picture or I'd post our boat looking down on her where it shows the radar arch blocking the sundeck roof where I thought I'd put the panels originally. Bridge roof, no shadows or shades.

What will contribute to the efficiency of the panels is the MPPT charge controller that you use. We have a Victron 150/60 Smart controller. You'll also want a Victron Smart BMV gauge to track the output. It will show your battery SOC, voltage and Time remaining on the batts.

Good luck with your install.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 08:46   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dave View Post
I've got 2 X 100 watt Renogy panels mounted on the stern rails. I found most of the parts on Defender.com, and bought quite a few listed from Gemini. Gemini parts are stainless steel and expensive, but the quality is very high and you don't have to worry about them deteriorating with age.
Previously I tried mounting them mid-ships and on the bimini top, but there's too much shading in those locations which seriously degrades performance. Minimal shading back on the stern.
I think this web site is censoring your post as all of the links are bad.
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 08:53   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
I would like to install a couple of fixed solar panels (probably Renogy) on the railings on either side of the cockpit - saw another boat with that arrangement. I believe I should be able to rotate the panels up and down for best angle to the sun. Does anyone know whether anyone sells accessories for such an installation? I could probably engineer it myself with various components used for railing in general but I don't trust my acumen in that area so looking for something well tested.
I have mounted 2 larger panels (200 watts each) on the side rails on my small sailboat.

Here is a link to where I bought them and the product specs: https://store.sandiegomarine.com/pro...eel-17472.html

However this site CENSORS links so here is the info Gemini "Stand-Off" Side Mounts - Stainless Steel. They are very strong and well designed but expensive.
Old 15-02-2021, 08:57   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrancher View Post
I have mounted 2 larger panels (200 watts each) on the side rails on my small sailboat.

Here is a link to where I bought them and the product specs: https://store.sandiegomarine.com/pro...eel-17472.html

However this site CENSORS links so here is the info Gemini "Stand-Off" Side Mounts - Stainless Steel. They are very strong and well designed but expensive.
Your link works just fine .

It's how he put them into his post .
They work best when separated from the conversation itself.
Old 15-02-2021, 09:08   #41

I am going to be the contrarian here.

On my old boat (a 40 foot ketch) I had solar panels mounted on the rails. It worked a treat: Right up until it didn't.

On a passage from Hawaii back to California we had steady winds of 45 knots for days with lots of waves throwing deep green water across the deck. Several times we had over a foot of water in the center cockpit. Obviously in these conditions, the solar panels were folded down, but that wasn't good enough.

At least one wave threw enough solid green water at the back of the leeward side solar panels that the stanchions broke. Not the hardware, not the panels, the stanchions bent and broke at the base.

On my current boat, I'd love to add panels on the rails, for extra capacity but once burned, twice shy.

Just a word of warning, that panels on the rails are vulnerable to serious weather--no matter how many other boats have them.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 09:09   #42

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Check Out these guys ------Great deals. Cheap.bought several for my boat.

Sun Electronics
15901 NW 59th Ave
Miami Lakes, FL 33014
info@sunelec.com

Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 11:00   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post

On my old boat (a 40 foot ketch) I had solar panels mounted on the rails. It worked a treat: Right up until it didn't.

On a passage from Hawaii back to California we had steady winds of 45 knots for days with lots of waves throwing deep green water across the deck. Several times we had over a foot of water in the center cockpit. Obviously in these conditions, the solar panels were folded down, but that wasn't good enough.

At least one wave threw enough solid green water at the back of the leeward side solar panels that the stanchions broke. Not the hardware, not the panels, the stanchions bent and broke at the base.

On my current boat, I'd love to add panels on the rails, for extra capacity but once burned, twice shy.

Just a word of warning, that panels on the rails are vulnerable to serious weather--no matter how many other boats have them.
I am aware of this and I am concerned about it as well. The setup is a less than ideal, however adding an arch for instance to the aft end of my boat is just too costly for me to justify on my 40 year old 27' boat. If the stanchions should break I will just replace them. New they can be had for about $50 each. I have a 160 Watt flexible panel mounted on my dodger that should remain usable in severe weather. My next boat in the 55'+ range and equipped with an unlimited budget will have a better setup. Right Haha!
Old 15-02-2021, 11:24   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post

That is a great reason for using these mounts like mine from sea dog and having mc4 plugs close to the panels .
With the weather forecasts availability now days part of heavy weather prep would be to remove the rail panels and store them in my stbd quarter berth . If i need to charge batteries running the iron wind is much preferable to losing a panel and suffering other damages .
Old 15-02-2021, 11:55   #45
Marine Service Provider

Here are some pics of my installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2436.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	232628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2441.jpg