Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2021, 18:31   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor
Installing solar panels on railings

I would like to install a couple of fixed solar panels (probably Renogy) on the railings on either side of the cockpit - saw another boat with that arrangement. I believe I should be able to rotate the panels up and down for best angle to the sun. Does anyone know whether anyone sells accessories for such an installation? I could probably engineer it myself with various components used for railing in general but I don't trust my acumen in that area so looking for something well tested.
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 20:00   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Installing solar panels on railings

There are specialty systems around that are used to mount to tube, but they can be very expensive. The el-cheapo way of doing it seems to be to use hydraulic pipe support brackets of suitable dimensions

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 20:16   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I don't know who sells them, but I made some that were very cheap and simple to make. Unfortunately I don't think I can attach a picture to a thread reply, so here goes a description: I mounted my 80W panels on a hard top-rail using 2 clamp-on rail mounts (similar to SeaLux Marine rail clamps) per panel, tightened enough so they would allow ration but not slide fore/aft easily. Each were thru-bolted to approx. 1/2" x 2" wood slats that spanned across the back of the panels (short direction, i.e. vertially when the panel was folded against the rail) and were bolted to the panel aluminum frame. The rail mounts were situated so about 4" of panel protruded above the rail when "stowed" vertically so the bottom edge of the panel would clear the toe rail. For the adjustable strut, I used overlapping 3/4" and 1/2" PVC water pipe. One end of the 3/4" piece slit lenghwise (using a hand saw) for about 1-1/2", then heated up till it was soft and squeezed with a hose clamp onto the 1/2" piece. Adjustable friction by tightening or loosening the hose clamp. I heated and smashed about 1" of the ends in a vice and fastened approx 1" x 2" x 1/8" thick pieces of polyethylene (If I remember correctly, cut out of a surplus oil drain pan/container) with a crease across the middle (bent back and forth in the vice a couple times) to form a hinge. Certainly real hinges could be used... but I utilized what we had "out there". These struts were fastened to the toerail and another "horizontal" wood slat that ran between the 2 vertical slats, positioned so the strut had the desired range of motion and decent angle to support the panel. It worked great - I could grab the panel and lift it into position, adjust the angle throughout the day or push it down to stow against the rail quickly without having to fuss around with loosening or tightening anything. The panels stayed where set through any weather we encountered. One caution - watch out for errant/flapping sheets. Our end-of-boom mainsheet had a habit of occasionally looping behind the panel when sailing downwind.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 20:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've used nylon/plastic mounts for two 130 watt panels on the sides of the pushpit. Worked fine on a TransPac with the panels held horizontal when needed by a stick. Another boat here had a similar arrangement but ran into problems in the Channel between Molokai and Oahu with classic wind against current waves. The panels came through fine but his support posts got washed away.

Biggest problem is the plastic clamps deteriorate in sunlight over time. Takes many years but they will crack eventually. Fortunately the ones I have still keep the panels attached to the rail even after cracking.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...lamps--5142070
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:40   #5

West marine has adjustable rail clips that one can swivel. I have two solar panels on my rails
dockgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:53   #6

Boat: Chrysler 22

McMaster-Carr and Grainger Industrial sell tubing mounts like the green one in the #2 post above. They have broad selections. Many use bolts and bolt plates to clamp the tubing, woth a variety of attachment methods. I don’t have info on UV resistance for plastic parts.
chasmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:17   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

If you have a bimini, make sure a rail mount won't interfere. (Up or Down) We have a wide bimini over the cockpit and can not mount a panel on the cockpit railing. We hung ours from the life lines mid-ships, but they have to be removed to go sailing as they interfere with the jib sheets.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:48   #8

I have 2 sets of panels on my rails. I am using Magma BBQ rail mounts for them. Easy to loosen and adjust

https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product.../dp/B0018Y8LL2
DenisHeinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:06   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I have panels on the stern railings which are adjustable and removable.

I used plastic hinged brackets from West Marine as shown, and Magma BBQ brackets on each end to add support farther from the edge of the solar panel and to allow a fixed angle to stay. (the frames of solar panels are not very strong so holding the whole weight by the edge is not advised.)

In Thailand I replaced the white West Marine which were no longer available at that time. I had a machine shop cut a block of white plastic, drill a 1" hole in it, then cut it horizontally, and add a hinge one end and a thumb screw on the other end. These new ones are are not pictured but they look just like the West Marine ones.

With plugs for the wires these panels are quickly removable and with the hinges and Magma supports they can lock into position and hold even in heavy winds.

It puts a lot of stress on the stanchion so we added (not pictured) braces down to the deck on the forward end of the railing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar, Wings, At Dock, Underside.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	231901  
Old 04-02-2021, 10:17   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
I would like to install a couple of fixed solar panels (probably Renogy) on the railings on either side of the cockpit - saw another boat with that arrangement. I believe I should be able to rotate the panels up and down for best angle to the sun. Does anyone know whether anyone sells accessories for such an installation? I could probably engineer it myself with various components used for railing in general but I don't trust my acumen in that area so looking for something well tested.
Check the Mantus site - they make a nice one that's easy to adjust.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:25   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

It needn't be anything fancy. I zip tied my panels to my lifelines. So far it has lasted $20,000 ocean miles, and 45kt winds on several occasions. I tie them down in gale conditions, put usually prop them up with a stick while sailing.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:34   #12

I used a couple of hook clips to attach my flexible panel while in the Baltic (the sun was usually low for all day and part of the night!) and this worked well. I could also unclip them to put on deck if that was better while at anchor, or put them below when away from the boat.
This worked well until a spinnaker sheet wacked it and took out half the cells.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:59   #13

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

After trying a number of attachment's for solar to rail, i have found the MAGMA rail clamp's to be the best because no support is needed, the clamp can be tightened enough to hold the panel at the angle needed, and easy to remove if needed, a flat bar of aluminum wide enough to attach the rail clamp, is attached to the panel with rivet's or nut's and bolt's, stainless of coarse, a good idea is to be able to disconnect the wire from the panel, if removal is needed, i have found the MARSH AND MARINE connector is the best, abit spendy, but no failures [this experience from my commercial diving].
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:03   #14

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If you mount a panel on the push pit does it not interfere with the ladder?
Old 04-02-2021, 11:33   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Like this . The rail mounts are available from many online sellers .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0046.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	231904   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0050.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	231905  

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels