Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 10:25   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Interstate U2200 Batteries

In May of this year I got 6 of the Interstate 6 volt wet cell U2200 batteris and installed theem in the boat, They have been working fine up until two weeks ago.

I have them installed in sets of two for a 12volt system 3 banks and another bank of 12 volt walmart starting batteris.

About two weeks ago the batteries changed in the way they take a charge, before I could set the charger on 15 or 20 amps and within a few hours be fully charged. Now I can not set the charger on amything higher than 2 amps if I try to charge any higher the charger gives a code 005 meaning batteries over heating so it takes days to fully charge them now.

In then past I have always left the charger on and they would float then charge.

My question is; Should I be draining them to a lower point before charging?

I have tried a new charger and get the same code. So it is not the charger, Also two days ago I took the boat out and ran the motor 7 hours so they should be full any way. I have tested the Alt and it is working fine.

thank you for any advice or info.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 10:48   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Check the cells with a hydrometer.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 12:16   #3
Eternal Member

Dutch,

Though you didn't mention which charger you have, from your description I assume it's one of the West Marine portable chargers which allow you to choose the charging rate, beginning at 2A.

The F05 error code does not mean an overheated battery. It means an overheated battery charger!

Depending on the state-of-charge (SOC) of the batteries, your six golf cart batteries (about 630AH total capacity) may be demanding more than the charger can deliver, under the ambient conditions.

A proper charger for a bank of that size would be 90-120A or so. An Iota 75A or 90A charger would do a good job at a modest cost, compared to other chargers on the market.

Still, you'd think the little WM charger would plug along at whatever rate of charge it could deliver. Does it have lots of ventilation? Ambient temp? SOC of batteries?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 12:32   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Have you tried charging just one bank? That might give you some added info. I suppose its possible to lose a battery but I tend to think the batteries want more than the charger can supply.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09   #5

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Thank you very much for the advice and yes it is the West marine charger but I also tried a Husky charger and got the same code.

I took the batteris back and they replaced them and got the same code so I then put one charger on each bank and it worked alot better.

I do plan to replace my charger when i install my Kiss wind gen and my two solar.

Dutch

I guess I could move the charger to get better venting.
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote