Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 02:06   #1

Boat: Seaward 22
Inverter-Charger?

To use the charger portion, where's the voltage source coming from to do so? What are the different input voltage ratings requirements and what equipment do you use for the input voltage?
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 04:40   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Inverter-Charger?

There must be more to to the question than im reading

The charger gets power from shore power of a generator. They work in a range of voltages you need to get off the specs for each. Some are auto sense for input voltage.
Old 17-12-2019, 20:29   #3

dock power or generator....

inverter / chargers are only rated for one voltage. so you either buy a 120v 60hz one or a 230v 50hz one. you can run them at 240v 60hz but it's a little harder. easier with two of them.

if you want to be able to use it with different power inputs it will not work. if so buy seperate chargers and inverters. as good chargers are multi voltage input.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 01:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
. . . if you want to be able to use it with different power inputs it will not work. if so buy seperate chargers and inverters. as good chargers are multi voltage input.

That's fine, but you will lose Power Boost function if the inverter and charger are not combined. This is a very important advantage for many use cases.

Another way to do it is use a Victron isolation transformer or similar device, which will convert the voltage (but not the cycles).

Or what many people do is use inverter/charger for their home power system and add a separate charger for the other voltage, then run AC loads off the inverter. This solves the cycles problem.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter