Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 17:52   #16

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl
Re: Inverter/Charger, or Inverter and Charger

I had the opposite problem as you. My inverter quit working. Same brand as your unit. I bought a separate inverter and still used the charger. If you haven't shopped for chargers in a while, there have been many improvements over the old. Since we are cruising the world, having a 120V charger in 240V land meant no charging via shore power. So I ended up installing a charger that works off both voltages. I still have the old charger as a backup. The single inverter and/or charger were both small enough and light enough that I could carry them in luggage when returning to the boat. A combination would be difficult to carry as baggage because of weight and size.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 19:33   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

a64Pilot

Chargers are availably up to 100 amps from Victron among others. Problem is they approach the price of an inverter/charger.

A combination inverter/charger is more flexible than separate units - power sharing being one example.

I have sold many brands including those mentioned in this thread. I would choose either a Victron or a Magnum above all others.

As an installer I have replaced many failed Xantrex units.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 23:06   #18

Had my electrician come by today to check out my problem and develop solution. We decided to install a Magnum 1000 watt inverter/charger. Also putting in two different battery switches, one for each bank of batteries.

Also need to replace my 2 8D 245 AH batteries. The question do I replace them with 6 volt AGM batteries or replace with 8D batteries. I'd like to consider Lithium but I don't think I can get any for close to the same price as AGM.

Any thoughts on what batteries type might be best to replace my failed AGM batteries.
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 00:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
Had my electrician come by today to check out my problem and develop solution. We decided to install a Magnum 1000 watt inverter/charger. Also putting in two different battery switches, one for each bank of batteries.

Any thoughts on what batteries type might be best to replace my failed AGM batteries.
Flooded golf cart batteries are likely to last longer than the same in AGM and are less fussy.

2 switches are a good choice.
Old 08-05-2020, 00:20   #20

What is the fussy part of AGM that you are referring to? Are the benefits to AGM over flooded? Can't the AGM batteries be charged up faster. Meaning less motoring to top them off when you are cruising.
Old 08-05-2020, 00:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
What is the fussy part of AGM that you are referring to? Are the benefits to AGM over flooded? Can't the AGM batteries be charged up faster. Meaning less motoring to top them off when you are cruising.
AGM batteries can be charged faster to about 80 or 85% SOC. The last 15 or 20% is still a 5 hour or job. And if that total 100% charge is not done once a week their lifetime will be short. Flooded batteries can take more of the abuse we routinely give batteries. Less than half the cost as well.

This link explains how fast an AGM battery charges.
https://marinehowto.com/how-fast-can...ry-be-charged/

Using a motor to charge batteries is not a good plan by the way unless also moving the boat, which describes a powerboat at least some of the time. Solar is a better solution.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35   #22

Boat: Norseman 447

WRT the comment about running inverter/changers in parallel, this configuration is quite common, but not all inverter/chargers support it. When paralleled, the units communicate with each other and operate effectively as a single unit. It’s a common approach is larger solar power installations. But, as pointed out, you can’t just take any two inverters from Home Depot and connect the AC outputs in parallel.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:50   #23

I should have said my boat does motor a lot, but I do sail when there is wind. I also have 350 watts of solar with a MPPT controller. I also plan to add another 150 to 300 watts of solar over the next year or so. Because I'm getting older I'm thinking of adding 6 volt AGM's in with sets of two in series, for about 500 or so amp hour capacity.
Old 30-08-2020, 10:05   #24

I just bought a 1980 Morgan 33 MS with Dynamote 40 amp charger that has a giant alternator-generator attached to the Perkins 4108. Is that even worth keeping? I have no idea how to use it or even check to see if it still works. I'm inclined to KISS and just get a high output alternator, a good battery bank and solar, maybe a small emergency generator and get rid of the Dynamote. That would free up enough room for several batteries. Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_090246.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	222275   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_085925.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	222276  

harley2862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 03:55   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Also need to replace my 2 8D 245 AH batteries. The question do I replace them with 6 volt AGM batteries or replace with 8D batteries. I'd like to consider Lithium but I don't think I can get any for close to the same price as AGM.

I think I would have done the same inverter/charger replacement... assuming existing wiring would have been a simple swap.

Were it me, I'd opt for six 6V batteries. AGMs if possible, to avoid servicing and reduce off-gassing. But AGM would also depend on how often I could routinely recharge to 100%... probably on shorepower or maybe with solar. If that's the situation, then I'd probably choose Lifeline AGMs, and maybe the taller versions if there's space available.

-Chris
Old 31-08-2020, 11:05   #26

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:

My AGM 8D batteries were very expensive and they leaked. They lasted only 4 years whereas the flooded 6v batteries before served for 11 years. At least 2 of the 3 AGM batteries had cracks in the case and leaked. (No physical trauma or abuse. They just cracked when they went dead.)

I replaced with eight 6v golf-cart type batteries and they have been as good as it gets.

I recommend a single battery bank plus a seperate engine battery. Never break up your house bank into 2 banks.
(What will drain a half-size bank to 50% will leave a full-size bank at 75%. Batteries are damaged when drawn down below about 50%. One large bank is much simpler and will give longer battery life.)
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
My AGM 8D batteries were very expensive and they leaked. ... At least 2 of the 3 AGM batteries had cracks in the case and leaked. (No physical trauma or abuse. They just cracked when they went dead.)

That would certainly be disappointing.

That said, I'd guess that kind of failure would more often be about that battery brand's quality, not AGM-hood-ness (or not).

-Chris
Old 01-09-2020, 11:38   #28

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
That would certainly be disappointing.

That said, I'd guess that kind of failure would more often be about that battery brand's quality, not AGM-hood-ness (or not).

-Chris
West Marine AGM 8D batteries.
At least 2 of the 3 had cracks big enough to see easily when we lifted them out. And acid had leaked out.
I have very little faith in the "leak-proof" claims about AGMs. With 6v flooded I have room for more amp-hours at less than half the cost.
"Fool me once; Shame on you! - Fool me twice; shame on me."
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
West Marine AGM 8D batteries.

Middle of the road, then...

-Chris

Tags
charger, inverter