Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2023, 07:15   #1

Lightbulb Inverter/charger placement vs shorepower

Hi guys

Hope someone can give me some insights here..

I have just purchased a Renogy inverter/charger 3000w. I need to hook it up to my 230v system. I have doubts where in the loop I need to place it. I've attached a diagram where either RED or GREEN is where I'm thinking to put it. My shorepower goes to a circuit breaker and from there to a AC load center where 2 circuits sends power to dishwasher and microwave and one circuit on the boats main switchboard. In the main switchboard there's a switch for the charger. My question is now - should I use this switch for the new inverter/charger - this would mean I have to send all shorepower through the main switchboard and on to the AC load center (incl the power for dishwasher etc) Or should I hook on to the AC between the shorepower circuit breaker and the AC load center? I also have a Onan generator hooked up (don't know how its wired up but I guess it just replaces the shorepower when turned on). The generator also runs A/C but I don't want my inverter to run these (they also have a separate system). As you can hear, I'm not an electrician but I do have a pretty good understanding of how to put things together. This is just a bit new to me.. Looking forward to your inputs https://ibb.co/h9hM2G8
Skippersparsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 15:17   #2

Boat: Imexus 28
Re: Inverter/charger placement vs shorepower

I had a change over switch professionally installed in my shorepower switch and fuse box. I flip a switch to move to inverter power assuring everything in the yacht is still protected by the trip switches and that shore power and inverter power cannot be connected at the same time. 🙂
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 16:51   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

I suggest hiring a qualified marine electrician do install this.
Old 25-11-2023, 17:02   #4

having some of the loads come off before the main panel will make this harder.

ultimately the main panel gets split inside the panel (cutting buss bars). to choose which loads get inverted or not. but then the mircowave couldn't be unless it was rerun into the main panel.

also the neutral wires need to get sepearted between the inverted and non inverted loads. or you will trip elci / rcd breakers.

an inverter / charger install is normally 2 full days by a pro. it's not an easy or trivial job. especially if the existing battery wiring is not set up to handle this and all has to be redone as well.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 04:43   #5

But if all AC currents are put through the inverter after shorepower/generator it should more or less using the existing cabling (except I would drop the power switch for the charger in the mainboard - or use it for an alternative smaller charger for the starter battery). Of course high demanding power sucking things would need to be manually shut off, such as waterheater, dishwasher etc unless we bring an extraordinarily large battery bank. The big questions if the Renogy inverter can handle the output from a 9,5 KW generator.
Old 26-11-2023, 04:44   #6

The Renogy should be able to detect shorepower and shuts down by itself

Tags
charger, inverter, men, power, repower