Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 18:27   #61

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter
Re: Inverter for bluewater sailboat?

I put in a good charger for my batteries. I put in a separate 3,000 watt inverter. It is very efficient. I use it for charging our laptops and (sometimes) for using my coffee pot. It will also run a microwave but I took mine out because I never used it.
The 3,000 watts is probably more than needed. It runs power tools whenever needed. Both the charger and inverter are about 10 years old and no problems with either.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 19:02   #62

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Well I have a microwave oven because I don't have a gas oven so that would be the main user of power.

I'll see how it goes but I may use the inverter to boil a small jug for hot water, a small toaster for toast and of course the bread-maker.

My HWS is a Duetto which senses either 12/24V or 240V and heats 10L water to 70°. (I suppose it would make more sense to use 24V than 240V)

Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Duetto1.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	183715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Duetto.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	183716  

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 04:15   #63

Which Inverter? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

www.cruisersforum.com › ... › Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Apr 10, 2018 - 15 posts - ‎5 authors
I had a Xantrex inverter/charger (came with the boat) that was fried by lightning en route to the Bahamas last year. This happened two weeks ...
Separate Inverter, Charger, or Combo ? 15 posts23 Jun 2018

Inverter myths? 15 posts5 Apr 2018

Inverter vs. Inverter/charger and which brand 15 posts 25 Feb 2017

Best Pure Sine Wave Inverter? 15 posts 25 Aug 2016

More results from www.cruisersforum.com
Old 13-01-2019, 04:45   #64

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Liky this was in his head. But does not work. Both buses still get power from inverter. As it just flows through jumper wires from shore breaker
It's making sense now thanks. I had that exact idea, but clearly it won't work. I'll get the Victron inverter with the separate Felax pass through switching relay. I am understanding how this works now. AC isn't my strong suit, but I'm learning more. Thanks again.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 06:41   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
technology has changed. and there is many advantages of running everything through the inverter. manual bypass switches should be installed in-cause of total failure.

the victrons as he mentioned especially. the multis have dual outputs. so they split the inverter and non inverter loads for you right at the inverter.

one of the main advantages of an inverter / charger over separate units is charger load shedding. most if not all do this. as the AC loads get closer to 30a, the charger reduces power and keeps you under 30a. (IE charging at 100a dc, 16a AC, turn on the mircowave for 1 min while running the HWT, charger cuts down to 10a durring that 1 min, then goes back to 100a after) this function is only possible if all loads can be measured by the inverter. if the HWT is before the inverter, you just blew the dock breaker. same with the boosting functions which a few inverters have. if the charger shuts off and you are still over 30a, the inverter will kick in and supply the difference, once again, only possible if the inverter can measure all loads. the victrons are good for this, the magnum hybrids fail at this.

These are outstandingly useful functions. The modern combine charger/inverter gives you ways to manage power which don't exist otherwise. Popping shore power breakers is a PITA, but overloading generators can ruin them. And they do like to be derated a little. Current limiting with a Victron Multiplus and similar with the inverter on will absolutely prevent overloading any AC power source.

Then you connect immersion heaters and similar loads to the load-shedding terminal on the Multiplus -- which will then switch the immersion heater on and off as capacity is available from the AC power source, and never from the inverter.

This is great stuff well worth the single point of failure (which can be overcome with 5 minutes of terminal-swapping).

Quote:
the inverter button needs to be left off while away. most inverters have the ability to leave charger on and turn off the inverter. victron, magnum, xantrax etc.

the pro mariners do not, so never buy one of those...

around here plug in heaters are used 6 months a year plugged in outlets of every boat tied to a dock. even if the "high loads" are taken off inverter, you still have high loads on the inverted outlets. unless you start putting inverted and non inverted sets of outlets in, there is no getting around that, so just don't forget to turn it off.... or you learn your lesson real fast when you replace all the batteries.

I wish I had read this 8 years ago, when I first installed my Multiplus . . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 15:12   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Inverters are like almost all boat gear. If you have one and use it then it's worth having, if you don't have one you will say it isn't worth having.

I say the same thing about things like radar and AIS. Never of which I personally would spend money on over having an inverter, but that's me.
An inverter is great, but it won’t keep you from being run down by a container ship on a foggy night. If my budget required a choice, I’d opt for the safety gear every time.
carlwk3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 04:55   #67

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

Fwiw,
I use two L16 Surette batteries, and a victron multiplies 2000.
My marine shore power is not great, boiling water is slow and the hot plate doesn’t reach full temperature making cooking an all afternoon affair.
With the victron on, it’s charging while being an inverter so I use it for AC power even alongside, My kettle boiled FAST and hot plate is hot, and I can make brownies for kids in toaster oven having it on for 45 minutes no problem.
With the engine running, alternator working, same thing if needed.

Best feature, if I am passing shore power through and I do have several loads, the inverter will kick in and kick out to supplement the shore power so no breakers trip. Ie, hot water heater may be in and I can turn the kettle on and the space heater is on in the cabin,, for a few minutes I’ll be pulling almost 50 amp of AC power. From shore is a 30 amp breaker, and after the victory is a 50 amp ( both two pole).

It’s a 4?? Stage 80 amp smart charger, which replenishes batteries fast if needed.
Cost was 2k Canadian. Certainly not cheap, but the previous inverter was a 3000watt 7000 surge inverter/charger made by I used it for a few years for everything from fridge full time to table saws and grinders, but one day it decided to overcharge and split my crown 6 volt batteries and got hit enough the chip board inside melted, while the shore power never did trip. After the mess of acid and smoke with family on board I decided to get equipment that I know even the Royal Navy endorses for their vessels, Victron is what I mostly saw while working on higher end yachts also.

If your taking offshore/voyaging as per original post, then yes you will likely have a small AC generator also, Honda or such. As your back up.

The biggest flaw in my system, is the two L16 batteries, of one burns out I only have 6 volt available, but if that happened then I can shut off the fridge, and have the single group 31 engine batter as my only battery until resolved.
( I chose the two L16 instead of two 4d 12 volt duE to dimensions.)

Hope it helps as food for though.
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 22:21   #68

I'm still busy putting all my heavy cable in for the bilge pumps, inverter and switchboard but I'm waiting for all the terminal covers etc to arrive.

When I bought the inverter they offered it with a remote power control. I didn't know why I would want one at the time but now realize the no-load current is 1A which makes them obligatory. (I assume that is what it is for?)

Clive

Tags
Bluewater, boat, inverter, sail, sailboat, water