Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 14:11   #16

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Inverter output cables are live on shore-power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
With the inverter OFF its output cables will be hot only if a double toss shore/gen/inverter switch is absent from the system and IF the shore power is ON.

The same applies to power share & and combos. When the unit is OFF cables going out are hot if the above switch is absent.

I can imagine on simple boats it may be the case, but I would consider this a risk to be avoided.

b.
I agree with this. that may be why your repairing the inverter "again" Inverters are made to supply A/C voltage not take it in. I've replaced many for burnt transistors and contacts on solenoids...Freedom 2000's mostly....I put in selector switches for shore A/C to house A/C sources, haven't had to go back. it's cheaper than a new inverter.....or a life.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 20:11   #17

Re: Inverter output cables are live on shore-power?

Yup. I've got a simple selector switch for shore vs gen input (and OFF). Another breaker in the panel allows inverter power into the panel, and shore gen to the inverter for charging. The inverter breaker is always on unless I'm working on the system. After connecting shore or gen, I select it on the input switch. Batteries charge, 120 through out boat. Xantrax 1800 heart remote. Everything can be isolated for service.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables, inverter