Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2023, 19:22   #1

Boat: Hunter 336
Is a Gas Solenoid Control Panel required?

I have a dedicated breaker/switch/light on my main panel for “LP Gas”. That feeds a Seaward Solenoid Control panel. I believe this is also just a switch, light and 5 amp breaker. Is that duplication required or suggested by ABYC? Seems to me it is doing the same thing as the dedicated switch on my breaker.

I am updating my panel and just wandering if I can get rid of the Seaward panel.
gpsatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 20:34   #2

Re: Is a Gas Solenoid Control Panel required?

My thinking is that the Seaward panel should be near the point of use and with the lamp it is easily seen and not forgotten that it is on. Safety would be to only turned on during use. No night time leaking into the boat because of forgetting. Most of the breaker panels i have seen do not indicate a breaker is on. Also most panels seem to be switched on all the time and turned off with the master breaker only when moored.
Old Pop David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 20:44   #3

I am not an expert on the standard but I found this using Google. Can't be sure it's accurate...

Quote:
If the fuel supply line enters an enclosed space on the vessel, a remote shutoff valve must be installed which can be operated from a position adjacent to the appliance. The valve must be a type that will fail closed, and it must be located between the regulator and the point where the fuel supply enters the enclosed portion of the vessel.
Based on where mine is installed, the definition of "adjacent" must have some wiggle room.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 21:06   #4

Correct! The shut off valve should be in the propane tank storage compartment, which is sealed from the vessel and vented from its inside bottom overboard.
Old Pop David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pop David View Post
My thinking is that the Seaward panel should be near the point of use and with the lamp it is easily seen and not forgotten that it is on. Safety would be to only turned on during use. No night time leaking into the boat because of forgetting. Most of the breaker panels i have seen do not indicate a breaker is on. Also most panels seem to be switched on all the time and turned off with the master breaker only when moored.
Indeed.
A readily accessible shut-off valve, or electrically operated solenoid shall be installed in the supply line to each attended appliance.
The valve or its control shall be operable from within the vicinity of the appliance, and its control readily accessible in the event of a fire at the appliance.
The “Seaward Solenoid Control Panel” is installed in the vicinity of the LPG stove, and operates the LPG shut-off solenoid, located in the LPG locker [at gas cylinder].

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:01   #6

Boat: Hunter 336

Thanks Gord May

I think you nailed it. It would make perfect sense to have that extra switch near the appliance. What makes it confusing on my boat is that it is less than 6 inches below the switch on the breaker panel. Maybe Hunter included it on all boats by default and on some of their larger boat it is located nearer the galley. My main breaker is just one step away from the stove.

I think I will keep it but move it to where it is more noticeable.

Thanks

GPS
gpsatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:01   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I like to have the propane switch located near the stove but in the direction you would retreat if there was a fire. In other words, I don't want to have to move close to the stove or lean over it to be able to use the switch.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I like to have the propane switch located near the stove but in the direction you would retreat if there was a fire. In other words, I don't want to have to move close to the stove or lean over it to be able to use the switch.
Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:43   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

Even better if the control also includes an alarm system that sounds and shuts off the gas of it detects a leak. That would require the separate panel. I've installed propane systems on three boats now and wouldn't do it without an alarm-control system.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:46   #10

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've seen them mounted behind and above the stove so you'd have to reach through the fire to turn it off. Bad idea!
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 22:44   #11

if it's just a on / off swich panel replace it with proper one that has a sniffer and will shut itself off and alarm if a leak is detected.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control panel