Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2007, 17:49   #16

Cruisingdad...I've heard that BP panels put out more than their rated wattage. Maybe you should have used those! (Big G) (Inside joke guys...no response required).
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 17:57   #17

Thanks for the links. It has been good reading and given me pause for thought. I'll probably go fixed mounting too as swinging at anchor is reality.
jcmjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 19:12   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Northern Arizona Wind and Sun

or is that "Sun and Wind?" At any rate, the people there are great, and the prices are consistently the lowest I've found. Google them! I had two Kyocera 150s, and they were flawless for 5 years (sold boat then). I had them mounted on two aluminum bows over the bimini, and they were never even noticed by people over to visit until I pointed them out. I routinely saw 13-14 amps, and had as much as 17 amps. They started putting out first thing in the morning, and it just kept getting better until around 1400, and then it started sliding back down. They kept up with the power needs unless there were 3 or 4 cloudy days.

Am looking at a new boat now and will probably put new Kyocera 175s on a davit mount. They put out something like 7.4 amps at 23.6 volts (14.6 at 12) each.
Old 15-05-2007, 23:17   #19

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
I have a couple of Kyocera 80W panels, and they have been great. Could use a bit more power as its not quite enough to keep up with the fridge, but then everythin on a boat is some sort of compromise. One of the brands has the silicon crystals in kind of a half moon shape instead of rectangular as on the Kyocera, so they run somewhat larger for the same power, not so good with limited space. I built a stern arch for them, and now think its definitely the way to go, provides some great handholds when ambling about the stern!
Old 16-05-2007, 00:07   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
"but I say we should support the guys who support us"

I agree. I had a friend who used to go to the big stores and finger all the merchandise, use up their salesperson's time and ask tons of questions. Then once he selected he would buy the item on the internet and save $10.

I always thought this was a bit unfair to the guy paying salaries and overhead. Oh, well...

This is a great topic for me as I am at the beginning of my boat power education cycle. For me it will be about size and getting the most wattage for my area. I am thinking about two approx 24 X 24 panels wired up to keep a deep cycle battery charged for lights, music and convenience items.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 07:00   #21

Boat: Catalina 400
Hey Cam,

To be truly effective, those BP's need to be mounted on a Kryptonite arm with two suns like on Planet Vulcan!!

HEHEHE

For those reading, it is an inside joke... well, an outside joke. BP's seem to be good panels and are rated high on their PTC. I still opt for Kyoceras... but that is just me.

- CD
Old 16-05-2007, 15:59   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Yeah, thermal,
I have an autopilot and an Adler Barbour, and the two 150's just kept up on passages with the pilot working. More is better!