Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2021, 13:52   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Is there a standard or recommend 12v outlet/connector

Cigarette lighter connections are pretty poor but it does make sense to have some because so many 12VDC products come with them. Beyond that there are no standards in the yachting industry. I have chosen to use Bulgin Buccaneer connectors for my 12VDC connections. I first used them to replace the crappy connectors that came with my Autohelm/RayMarine autopilot (they didn't seal well and were easy to break). I first found them in chandleries (in the UK IIRC) but they are available through the usual electronics outlets (DigiKey, Allied Electric, etc) in the US. They are very robust, waterproof, are available with multiple pins as required for applications other than simple power. They include male and female in-line connectors as well as panel-mount connectors. While they are a straight pin plug-together design they utilize a threaded sealing collar. I highly recommend them as a standard for interior and exterior connections.

I do not like the idea of installing USB outlets permanently in the boat. The reason is that the standard is a moving target and you will want to upgrade occasionally. Currently we have a Tower of Babel in USB charging, where the least common denominator (2.4A or less at 5V) rules, while most cell phones and increasingly laptops and tablets use faster charging methods such as QuickCharge 3. These faster methods have been mostly proprietary and provide a means of calling for higher voltages in order to get more power without excessive current. There seems to be a slow convergence on the (non-proprietary) USB PD (power delivery) standard, which would be the way to go if it were available in a high power panel mount with 12VDC input. Until then it is better to meet charging needs with external chargers that can be easily upgraded.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 15:06   #17

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I used the standard low voltage plugs one can buy at most electrical trade supply stores. They are not cheap. They have two tang pins set one above the other, one vertical tang the other horizontal. No other kind of plug will fit the sockets, and the D low voltage plugs can not inadvertently be plugged into AC Mains sockets.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 16:10   #18

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have been using the type like in post #12, but in Oz we call it "merit" plug. Although the Wikipedia article states a current of upto 12 Amp, I am sure many of them are rated to 25 Amp. I have seen 40 amps through them (compressor)... no issues, as long the attached wiring and fuse is up for it of course.
I have these Merit sockets with waterproof caps some for 12 years out in the open. Still as new inside, no corrosion.
Attached Images

Old 22-05-2021, 16:15   #19

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I used the standard low voltage plugs one can buy at most electrical trade supply stores. They are not cheap. They have two tang pins set one above the other, one vertical tang the other horizontal. No other kind of plug will fit the sockets, and the D low voltage plugs can not inadvertently be plugged into AC Mains sockets.
Do you mean these ones?
Yes they work, but bulky.
Attached Images

Old 22-05-2021, 17:18   #20

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Yes--those are they.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 17:24   #21

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin View Post
Pretty much every 12V convenience receptacle I’ve seen is one of those cigar lighters. If you change your standard I would make an adapter to plug into it with a cigar lighter on one end.

My top 2 suggestions for a new standard would be deans connectors or NMEA+power. With the 2nd option you can plug some adapters into it and into your computer if you just want to see your gps location in openCPN or whatever. Anyway deans are super good, and NMEA+power would give you more options. Either way you’ll be splicing a lot of connectors onto the random 12V junk you buy.
Look at the field tests of the deans vs xt60. XT60 has much better current carrying capacity
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 17:37   #22

Boat: Hunter 38

Thanks all for the ideas. I’ll do some research on these. I like the nmea +power for some locations. The trolling motor connector sounds especially interesting

I’m very handy with electronics and no problem building quality harnesses etc.

I’d plan on simply hacking the end off anything with a cigar lighter and rewiring with a new connector.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 20:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I’m looking to add some 12v DC outlets to my boat and replace some of those bloody awful cigar lighter style ones with something better. This is in addition to replacing a couple of the cigar lighter outlets with USB A and C outlets.

The guy on Fair Isle seems to like the XT60 connectors.

Is there anything like a standard (ha) or commonly used connector?

I want something I can panel mount and put in an outlet box.
First question - what do you have on your boat that runs off of 12v and uses a lighter plug? Or what are you anticipating that needs 12v sockets?

For the little I use them for (portable solar panel feeding, the occasional searchlight), the lighter plugs/sockets have worked fine, and the better ones sort of lock by twisting them 90 degrees.

The XT60 might be a reasonable inline connector for mounted gear, but they haven't yet been offered as robust panel mount jack and plug combinations.

I'm not the biggest fan of the typical barrel jack and plug that you see on small radios etc, but it is an option.

For our boat I have opted for multiple USB jacks, powered by a DC-DC step-down module to deliver up to 2A. Mainly because just about all the extra stuff we bring and plug in is almost all USB. Basic USB is a solution that will remain viable for several years, and I don't think that the advanced intelligent fast charging USB stuff is neccessary... it's a boat, we have the time. Dumb 5v USB meets 90+% of most onboard USB uses.

The location film and video community have gone to LEMO connectors for some DC power; they're great but pricy. As a cheaper replacement I would consider something like knockoff aviation connectors. Durable, inexpensive. You can even get waterproof all plastic versions.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 20:29   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Someone mentioned Anderson Powerpole connectors but it got ignored... yet it is the best option and many are adopting them. https://www.amazon.com/Housing-Ander...s%2C224&sr=8-9

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 20:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Someone mentioned Anderson Powerpole connectors but it got ignored... yet it is the best option and many are adopting them.
Thanks for the re-post. While I use the Buccaneer for lower amperage and waterproof needs, I use an Anderson SB50 50A connector for larger currents. I hadn't realized that the Powerpole was a different connector, fitting in between the two. And for really large loads the 175A version of the Anderson connector is available (but I don't have a need). With so many LiIon-powered devices now I don't use the 12V outlets as much as i once did.

Greg
Old 22-05-2021, 21:31   #26

Boat: Reinke 10M

i use Merit plugs for fans and wired spotlights etc as they are far better quality than cig lighter stuff,have a male Merit to female cig lighter adapter for visitor stuff.For fridges use the plugs mentioned in HankOnthewaters post 19
carrboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 22:08   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

Silly question, but what exactly do you intend to plug in? Make a list and then install that kind of plug. Everything I need on my boat is USB or USB-C, so that’s the only plug I have available.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 05:36   #28
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielI View Post
Silly question, but what exactly do you intend to plug in? Make a list and then install that kind of plug. Everything I need on my boat is USB or USB-C, so that’s the only plug I have available.
USB is 5V. How do you charge your handheld VHF, AA/AAA battery charger etc.?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 06:41   #29

Anderson Powerpole - hadn't seen those before, but yeah they seem to tick all the boxes. I especially like that you can get modular fused distribution blocks with that connector. You need yet another crimper, unless you solder the pin connections. And they're out of patent, so knockoffs are now available.

Quote:
Well, this calls into question what requires an accessible portable type DC connection and what doesn't. Handheld VHF charger, AA/AAA charger... to me these would be items dedicated to the boat, they would be mounted or secured into place, and the DC connection can be anything like: inline crimp-on bullets or blades, lugs and terminal strip, etc.

Whereas the things that get moved around, or on/off the boat - for us they are almost all USB, so those are the jacks that I put in the most of.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 13:54   #30

Quote:
Many of the new battery chargers, including my Nitecore UMS4, are powered by USB. It has a micro-USB input and can charge NiMH and LiIon batteries, up to 4 at a time. A feature of this model is that it can charge faster if it is powered by a QuickCharge 3 power supply. It can do this because USB is no longer strictly 5V: QuickCharge 3/4, USB PD (Power Delivery) 3/4, and some proprietary charging protocols negotiate voltage up to 20V in order to provide higher power within the current limits.

BTW many people are charging slower than necessary because the cables (particularly long ones) have a high resistance. I have USB multimeters that show me the voltage drop and current, and having proper charging cables makes a big difference. And that is before considering USB 3 cables, a real nightmare.

Greg

Tags
men