Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2023, 01:51   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Is there a way to safely repair this wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
If your windlass is reversible, and I think the Lighthouses are, that cable is not a ground or a negative, it is simply one of two cables powering the motor where the polarity makes the motor run in one direction or the other. Do not use this as a ground!
As described the other end of this wire goes to the negative buss... and the negative side of the battery. How is this "not a negative"?

Jim
Old 11-10-2023, 02:46   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

A typical reversing windlass wiring diagram:

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:09   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

Thank you for the diagram. This is useful.

I will properly rewire the windlass once it is rebuilt. It is currently set up to only raise chain. (I just shipped the unit to Lighthouse Mfg yesterday and it weighs a shocking 90 pounds...)

In the meantime, I'm going to repair the removed insulation on the cable with liquid tape and then a few layers of heat seal.
FuneSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:31   #19

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneSF View Post
If I covered the damaged section with a few layers of heat shrink cover, do you think that will safely cover the exposed section? I want to do this correctly. I feel that I'm going to end up running a new 20 foot wire. But, I figured I would ask this group on their opinion.

I would just put some tape over it rather than thread 20 feet of wire through a piece of heat shrink.
Old 16-10-2023, 08:13   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I would do it in opposite order... Lquid Tape then self fusing tape.
Ditto.

I would do the same..
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 09:41   #21
MEC

Boat: Hinckley Sou'Wester 52 Dauntless

Your photo shows that the solder joint is "cold", so it will fracture without much difficulty.

The potential problem caused by a nick in the negative conductor jacket is corrosion of the conductor strands.

The simple and permanent solution is to remove the blue conductor, clean the black insulation with alcohol wipe around the scarfed cut in insulation. If you see that some corrosion has formed on the exposed conductor strands, remove it using a fine bristle, clean stainless steel brush, brushing along the strand lay.

Before spiral wrapping, fill the void created by the scarfed insulation with small pieces of tape. Fill the void until the surface is fare with undamaged insulation.

Spiral wrap over the black insulation using butyl or "coax seal" tape. Apply each turn of tape in a half lap. Start and end the wrapping 1" either side of the cut insulation. Carry the spiral wrapping over the patch, will make a uniform cover.

After wrapping, squeeze the tape with your fingers so the half laps are forced to blend into each other.

The external wrapping will restore waterproofing that the original, undamaged insulation provides to the conductor strands.
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 11:46   #22

In my experience Liquid Electrical Tape bonds completely to clean, vinyl insulated wire. Use at least three coats letting it shrink-dry between coats to make a good air and moisture seal. The solvents in the L.E.T. slightly melt the cable insulation insuring water exclusion and good physical attachment.

Secondary protection with waterproof shrink tube will add to the sealing and provide more robust physical protection. Electrical tape should only be used in emergency repairs due to its tendency to trap moisture between layers.
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 13:50   #23

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Previous owners, gotta love em! What an absolutely devious crap way to tap a wire. Not even a good solder job.

Self sealing tape for the win.
At some point, all of us become a previous owner
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 16:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I would do it in opposite order... Lquid Tape then self fusing tape.
Agree. The liquid tape will penetrate the uneven surface. Give it several thin coats. Then fusing tape and then liquid again to seal it down. That should last a loooog time.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair