Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 16:33   #61

Boat: Macgregor 26M in SF bay, Bayliner 175BR in JAX FL
Re: Is there interest in bi-facial high wattage panels?

Spec of MxB290SL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428449589238.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	100107  
jbpatents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:00   #62

How much does the mounting method affect the backside power boost? I notice in that spec sheet it lists 10% boost and 20% boost and a recommended mounting method with 2 rails under the panel.

If one could mount these with no rails underneath, would they see 20% boost under ideal conditions?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:24   #63

@ jbpatents,

What is palet load cost per watt?
What kind of warrenty do your panels come with ?

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 22:15   #64

Boat: Macgregor 26M in SF bay, Bayliner 175BR in JAX FL

Socaldemax, for bi-facial it would be best not to mount with rail underneath. It is difficult to do for large installations, but I think will be easier to design for boats. The boost would really depend on the conditions - what is under the panel and how much it reflects.

Although water is generally considered to have low albedo, at the light wavelengths water is smooth and the reflection is specular. Consequently, bi-facial panels should get very good boost form specular reflection from the water, especially at high angles (early morning and at evening) when the panels needs it the most. This is just my educated guess, I have not tested any of this. So take it with a grain of salt, or a drop of salt water.

Arthur, per my previous post, I can sell the MxB290SL I have for $1.20/watt. If you are talking about a large installation the price would go down, but those will be MxB300SL, as we don't make the 290 right now. What I have are some left overs.

Here's a link to the warranty, which is backed by MunicRe.

Warranty
jbpatents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 22:35   #65

Great info! Those panels look like a great way to go! I'm not in the market yet, but I hope some cruisers do get to take advantage of your very generous offer and get some solar panels installed soon!
Old 07-04-2015, 22:48   #66

what about flexis glued to clear mylar in a triangle shape,separated by flaking creases and then hoisted up the mast? Now we're cooking with gas, sorry sailing with solar.
100 square metres at 200 w a square metre collecting on both sides. 20 kw for an average of 6 hours a day. That's good to air condition the boat with the batteries only.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 22:54   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
what about flexis glued to clear mylar in a triangle shape,separated by flaking creases and then hoisted up the mast? Now we're cooking with gas, sorry sailing with solar.
100 square metres at 200 w a square metre collecting on both sides. 20 kw for an average of 6 hours a day. That's good to air condition the boat with the batteries only.
I could envision that working with flexible PC or similar backing to prevent the interconnecting junctions from cracking/breaking. It would have to be roller furling, preferably at the boom in a larger than usual circumference for longevity, I don't think you want to roll it too tight.

Whoever gets this dialed in could end up very rich!
Old 07-04-2015, 23:28   #68

Looks like we're onto something. Did a search for roll up solar and there's plenty of panels that could roll up. some are quite long and could easily run along the boom or even lifelines.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:01   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Looks like we're onto something. Did a search for roll up solar and there's plenty of panels that could roll up. some are quite long and could easily run along the boom or even lifelines.
I'm very interested, but let's start a new thread, I don't want to hijack this great thread.
Old 13-10-2015, 16:05   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpatents View Post
Spec of MxB290SL
I'm buying four GxB300's for my house (I think that's the minimum order
at CivicSolar | Solar Panels - Photovoltaic Cells - Solar Power - Inverter - Charge Controller - Battery ).

Do you happen to know how symmetric the front and back are?
i.e. if I mount them vertically facing east and west, with the front
facing west, how much lower will the morning output be than the evening output?
DanKegel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels