Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 06:17   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Isolation Transformer

Still working on my electrical problems (I'm just learning, so be kind). I need to install 2 isolation transformers, but have no idea what I need. I see they run from a couple hundred dollars up into the 5-figure range.

I have a 30 amp and a 50 amp receptical on my boat... I own a Lagoon 450 catamaran and it is european wired... I've got 2 inverters... 5 170 AH house battery bank... a generator... I really have no idea whether any of this makes any difference, but thought I would provide that info anyway....

So, how do I determine which transformer(s) I need? I also want good quality without breaking the bank. Can anyone make recommendations?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:24   #2

Boat: Last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W
Re: Isolation Transformer

I would recommend Mastervolt or Victron. Contact them with the specs of your electrical system and ask them for a detailed quote.
Old 12-12-2020, 15:19   #3

the first thing to know is what is the incomming dock power and what is the outgoing power to the panel.

since you say it's european wired the first question is why do you have a 30a and 50a plug which are north american.... european is 16a and 32a.

are you trying to get 30a 120v and 50a 240 north american dock power input and create 230v euro power on the boat?

or do you need 120/240v split phase standard north american power? if so you don't need an isotransformer, but they are nice to have.

victron 3600w would work for the 30a inlet weither you need 120 output or 230 output

the 50a will depend if you need 120/240 or only 240 output. victron does not make one big enough. and they won't do 120/240v. as they are only 2 wire

a 12000w istransformer is going to be very big and heavy. charles used to be the go to here, but I think they are no longer around.

why do you have 2 plugs? do they each power difererent panels? or is it so you can plug one or the other depending what's the on the dock? if the later and you are switching back and forth likly you could just feed them both into a single transformer.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 18:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

If you can, post a wiring diagram. Many companies make isolation transformers, a lot depends on the usage. In almost every case you don't need 2 but do need one that can handle the entire boat load. I install at least one a month, happy to helop
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 06:56   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It would also help if we knew whether you wanted to travel between areas with North American and European/Australian dock power.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 15:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Waiting for a diagram; lot's of options and lots of full time pro's here. Just tell us what you have aboard, what you want to plug in to, etc. Schematic diagram 'as built' will help.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 03:52   #7

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Waiting for a diagram; lot's of options and lots of full time pro's here. Just tell us what you have aboard, what you want to plug in to, etc. Schematic diagram 'as built' will help.
I'm so sorry ... I don't know how to post a document. I have schematics and it 8 includes everything as installed by the factory. The previous owners moved the 2 battery chargers, added a 110 inverter, and I added a second inverter. I don't know how the hack that put it in wired it.

Would the schematic still help? If I send it to you, do you think you could post it for me?

Would the schematic still help
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote