Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 10:22   #16

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Isolation Transformer-- Does Anybody Use One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Kind of compatible. The transformer will change voltage IE 230V to 120 V or vice versa (at least mine will) but does not change frequency, EU 50 Hz to US 60 Hz.

For some electrical equipment using the correct frequency is necessary.
Skipmac is correct. We went through all of our auxiliary equipment and checked operating specifications. The only equipment that was questionable was the two heat pump units. A call to the manufacturer assured us that the 50 hz would not be an issue.

It is required to check to make sure that there are not any synchronous motors on board that absolutely require 60 Hz as the motor could run hot and fail or worse.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 10:27   #17

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I've got one on my boat, it is big and heavy, but a good idea, I moved it around when I installed my machine shop in my engine room. It will stay, even if I don't expect to spend much time hooked up to shore power. Probably more important on a steel boat than fiberglass, but then fiberglass boats have less metal and probably more important metal to loose to galvanic action.
Old 13-07-2015, 10:32   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 456 Carisma 1984
Send a message via Skype™ to sotavento

A transformer never changes frequency.
sotavento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 11:08   #19

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Does your setup provide galvanic isolation? (shore ground is not connected to the boat ground)
Don't do without shore power ground! Install a galvanic isolater ( 2big blocking diodes), breaking the DC loop and keeping the AC ground so's you won'the get electrocuted.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 11:50   #20

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Have one ( Mandatory on a steel boat) a Charles and I am HAPPY to be corrected by those that know more BUT You must have one rated for
the voltage INPUT ( and therefore OUTPUT) you are using i.e 120 V OR 120/240/230V . The models are NOT the same. So you can't hookup a 120V Isolation transformer to ANY input source as I understand it. Check out he Charles Industries home page.
By the way, same for a charger/inverter. And don' t forget a spare boat plug with a bare ended wire to hookup to the receptical you buy and need at the foreign port you stopped at so you can hook up your boat end to the shore power box there in Timbuktu.

Russ
Old 13-07-2015, 11:56   #21

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I've ordered the Victron 3600 Auto Iso Transformer.

A. Because it's Toroidal, lighter and more efficient
B. Because it automatically switches between 110 and 230V input and outputs 110v.

Iso Transformers are far better than normal galvanic isolators. I would have one even if I weren't going to travel overseas.

But that's just me. :-)
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:32   #22

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Don't do without shore power ground! Install a galvanic isolater ( 2big blocking diodes), breaking the DC loop and keeping the AC ground so's you won'the get electrocuted.
Galvanic isolators require monitoring, it's not obvious when they fail.

Having a new source of power on board, like an isolation transformer, greatly reduces the chance of electrocution due to improperly wired dock systems. Dock system grounding and neutral/hot terminate at the isolation transformer without connecting to any of the on-board wiring or systems. The iso transformer eliminates dangers associated with hot/neutral reversals and open neutral or ground.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:34   #23

Boat: Orca 38

I have one, a Charles.
Old 13-07-2015, 14:56   #24

Boat: various over the years

An isolation transformer is a worth addition to any vessel with a
120 or 240 volt AC system that is frequently plugged into shore power.
Transformers have become more or less standard on larger vessels of
recent manufacture.

When installing the wiring for a transformer, take care to ensure that
the "green wire" ground from the dock power outlet is not terminated in
the boat other than as directed in the installation instructions for the transformer. The boat's primary 120 /240 vac distribution safety grounding system should originate at the secondary side of the isolation transformer, and not from shore.

Aside from an obvious connection via the shore power cord,
a "sneaky" shore power to boat ground system connection can be accidentally established via a plain old fashioned telephone (POTS) inlet or the ground shield on a cable television coax connection. The grounds on either or both of these system may have been tied together inside the shore power pedestal and also aboard the boat.
ex-12m-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 14:59   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

ABSopulse has a transformer that handles both voltage and frequency. It is light weight and fairly compact.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pbbmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 16:04   #26

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Okay, now that there are plenty of constructive responses I just gotta say, "you should get professional electrician to hook up all that fancy stuff". What could possibly go wrong? It could cause a ground fault and short out the deep fat fryer!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 19:03   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooiedirk View Post
On my boat I don't use a seperate islation transformor, but instead use the charger as one. All AC power used onboard always comes from the inverter. And an inverter, if you don't have one already, is often cheaper as an isolation transformer.
this provides no ground separation or galvanic help... which is what an isolation transformer is for.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 19:27   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you search this forum you will find a lot of discussion on isolation transformers. It will make you EU-compatible & isolate your vessel ground from the common ground at the marina when you plug in. This is a powerful deterrent to galvanic coupling & forced high rate corrosion of your important bits.

We are 50 amp 240 so our set up is 240 on the primary. Secondary is two 110 lines feeding two separate AC busses.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 03:44   #29

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbmorton View Post
ABSopulse has a transformer that handles both voltage and frequency. It is light weight and fairly compact.
This is probably then an AC-DC-AC converter. Basically a charger and a inverter back to back, without a battery in the middle. I think the solution with just a charger with a wide input, and a normal inverter would work as well.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 03:44   #30

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
this provides no ground separation or galvanic help... which is what an isolation transformer is for.
I think this depends on what kind of charger you use. Some chargers do provide galvanic isolation.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote