Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2006, 22:20   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Kipor Generators

This is a double post - sort of - from another forum here. I'm posting it here as well since it really belongs here. This is for those looking for a small portable generator to use on their boats:

By the way, for those of you who have heard of Kipor generators and know they are substantially cheaper than Honda's; I had an interesting conversation with a Canadian supplier who has had to discontinue his Kipor line.

Seems the Kipors are knock offs of Hondas (they been in Europe for over a decade or more now) and most of the repair parts can be Honda parts. Honda put the squeeze on the Canadian dealer to discontinue carrying Kipor generators which he has mostly done. Honda says they are too much of a copy of Honda and thus should not be supported. The reason I am telling you here is I don't like companies squeezing out other companies, so you heard it from the Honda's mouth, Kipors are Honda's in drag. If you want a cheaper generator, buy Kipors (yes they are a proven product and are the second most poplar brand in Europe).
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 00:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Was the Canadian supplier also a Honda agent??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 09:37   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I was going to say, "Yes he is," but when I go to his site I don't see any Honda Generators. Also, you will see he has a very small selection of Kipors he is clearing; these aren't the ones boaters would be after. He called me on Saturday and said he had one 2000 watt unit left.

Here is the link: http://www.auroragenerators.com/Kipor-p-1-c-5.html
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 17:23   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
It seems like MUCH of the manufacturing is moving to China. I bought a generic 2.4 kvw generator and I had occassion to pull it a part to squeeze it in a tight space. While looking at the 5 hp engine I was comparing it to the engine on a Honda genset. Darn if I was able to spot any difference. I would not be surprised if the manufacturing of the Honda engine and the generic accured at the same factory!

I have just purchased a Kipor generator, when I get it, I'll compare it to a friends Honda. We'll see how they match up.

Keith

Back in New Bern

Yeah!!!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 16:58   #5

Without dissembling the engine and doing a metelurical study I can't say definatively. But the Kipor looks very close. Same noise, a little higher output. Fuel consumption seem a little more on the Kapor, but, think I had a bigger load on the Kapor. I was using a Links 2000 to monitor, he was using a Links 1000 to monitor. I have a 2.5kw charger, he has a 1.5kw charger. But, I was charging at about 25 amps he was about 20 amps. We both ran for about 3 hours. Nothing scientific, but we'll see how the Kapor holds up over the coming months.
Old 25-07-2006, 15:07   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The Chinese are noted for reverse engineering and clever copying of almost everything. And, equally famous for copyright and patent violation and taking shortcuts on things, like no-name counterfeit lithium batteries for cell phones and batteries, that overheat and catch fire.

If Kipor has done the usual Chinese thing and ILLEGALLY copied the Honda, violating their patents and such, I'd heartily agree with Honda for asking companies to stop carrying them. I wouldn't slam Honda at all until and unless you found out more about just what Kipor is and has done.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 20:24   #7

Boat: Lotus 10.6
So how is it going after a year?
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 19:20   #8

In November of 2006 we looked hard at portable generators with some serious consideration to the Kipors. But due to the lack of support (I couldn't find one place that sold parts or repaired them), and due to the little price difference we opted for the proven track record of the Honda EU2000i. The Kipor 2kw was going to run us $700, wisesales.com was selling the Honda for $849 which included shipping. I don't consider that much of a price difference for an unknown and name brand. Love my Honda.
bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 22:22   #9

I just paid $1k for one here. The Honda was $1.7k.
In NZ the Supplier is very good to deal with.
They have a website Kipor Generators New Zealand - Digital Inverter Generators, Conventional, Diesel Generators, Pumps
Has now done 5hrs and still running on the first 2.6 litres of petrol.
Old 20-08-2007, 05:51   #10

After another year, Still no issues with the Kipor. What is surprising is how it is holding up in the moisture ladened environment. I have not been "cruising" lately, just doing weekend sails. So, the generator is only seeing service about every two weeks or so. As an additional benefit, I have found occassion to use it for several other things. I pull it off the boat, stick it in the trailer and have taken it to provide AC for things like car camping. Kewl.
Old 20-08-2007, 13:39   #11

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
well i got to say you guys must have got the ones out of the good batch. mine ran for about 3 hours then would not start again. the warranty was not worth the price of the paper it was written on. mine was when they first come out here so maybe they have got a bit better as time has gone on.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 17:21   #12

Just dipped the fuel tank and it is still half full!!! Running the laptop for 10 hours on 2.6 litres of fuel is good for me
Old 20-08-2007, 17:21   #13

Just dipped the fuel tank and it is still half full!!! Running the laptop for 10 hours on 2.6 litres of fuel is good for me
Old 20-08-2007, 17:23   #14

Hey, I'm repeating myself repeating myself.

Whats the story. Only sent it once
Old 22-08-2007, 00:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

How much does the Kipor chuck out for you Seafox?
How much does the Kipor chuck out for you Seafox?

Do I need to say this twice?
Do I need to say this twice?
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote