Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 14:14   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
KISS Wind Generator Installation on Pole

WG is not adequately housed in the pole. I even rang the Kiss office from OZ but the number on the invoice is not connected. I have emailed them twice in the last week but have not had a reply.

Can anyone give me some advice. The wind is blowing 30 - 35 kts and it is raining and I am looking longingly at my WG and separate pole languishing on the back deck.

The directions say:

- slide the white PVC collar over the top of the pole
then insert the gray PVC pole cap ......... drill holes and lock cap in place.

So, I slid the collar over the top of the pole. Then the gray pole cap does not fit inside the collar because the thicker middle part is the same diameter as the top of the white collar, that it hits and so can't fit inside.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010894 comp.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	24046   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010897 comp.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	24047  

svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:45   #2

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Re: KISS Wind Generator Installation on Pole

If i remember correctly. Been a while since i installed ours.

The white threaded coupler screws into the base of the wind gen and needs to go on first. It is supposed to keep the gen centered on the slip bearing ( the black piece ) and keeps the genny from coming off the pole.

The black piece needs to slide over the pole. It slides down and seats inside the black piece by an inch or so. It is drilled and screwed to prevent it from sliding off the pole.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:01   #3

Boat: CORBIN 39

I also bought the kiss wind gen. and had all the same issues you have. the nature of the beast: all the replacement parts can be purchased from a auto parts store or home depot. (easy to repair on the run). hence the name keep it simple stupid, not what they say now " keep it simple sailor" the fitting you are referring to is a schedule 40 pvc fitting for plumbing. you will need to enlarge the opening, I used rolled up sheet of 60 grit and perhaps 2 hours of sanding. ( i was away from my shop). The engineering of the unit is good, the execution needs some improvement. toss the stupid little spring too, that does nothing at all. make sure to tie on the small line like they say, the unit will not take a 360 degree spin.
I had my unit for several years and still works great. btw, in high winds when the thermo kicks out, no need to run for your life, grab the line and turn the unit out of the wind and tie it off. you will know what I mean when it happens
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:34   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you look at the installation manual carefully it will explain how to do it.
- - You slide the PVC (white) pipe adapator on the mounting pole with the threaded end facing up.
- - You insert the bottom of the grey inset - into- the end of the mounting pole. It should fit snugly inside the pole. You then drill and screw the grey insert to the mounting pole.
- - You thread the electrical wires down the center hole of the grey insert and carefully insert the end of the spring wire into its little hole in the grey insert.
- - The KISS machine will be sitting on top of the grey insert which is there to allow the Kiss machine to rotate.
- - The PVC (white) pipe adaptor is then screwed into the bottom of the KISS machine which is threaded to accept it. As stated by another, the purpose of the white PVC adaptor is to keep the KISS machine from lifting up and off the mounting pole. That is its only function.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 00:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If you look at the installation manual carefully it will explain how to do it.
- - You slide the PVC (white) pipe adapator on the mounting pole with the threaded end facing up.
- - You insert the bottom of the grey inset - into- the end of the mounting pole. It should fit snugly inside the pole. You then drill and screw the grey insert to the mounting pole.
Thanks for the help but BELIEVE ME, both the fabricator and I have read the directions many times.

My problem is that the grey insert won't fit through the white PVC fitting from above as it shows in the installation directions .

Wind Generators Kiss High-Output Wind Generator Instruction Manual

It has to go into the top of the pole first before the pvc fitting goes on the pole top. So the only thing stopping the WG flying off is the 1 1/2 inches (3 cms) of overlap of the white PVC fitting and the weight of the of the WG.

If the manufacturer of the Kiss WG would reply to my emails, the problem would be solved quickly. HO HUM

If anyone has a direct line to the owner, please tell him to PM me or phone +61 404834504. I would appreciate a reply to my queries from someone at Kiss Energy.

IMO, not a lot to ask for the cost of my recent purchase.
Old 22-02-2011, 01:47   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

i bought mine soon will be 5 years ago and it was no troble putting together and has run perfect in the windy greek/ turkesh area ever since-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 07:01   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
. . . My problem is that the grey insert won't fit through the white PVC fitting from above as it shows in the installation directions .
I think you are not reading closely - maybe.
1. You have the mounting pole.
2. You slide the white PVC fitting down the pole with the threads up.
3. You take the grey insert and insert it into the top of the mounting pole. The white PVC fitting and the grey insert never come in contact with each other.
4. After screwing the grey insert to the pole you install the PVC wind gen body onto the grey insert. The bottom of the Kiss Machine has a long pipe like extension that the grey insert slides up inside after the wire and little spring are correctly inserted. If you use the wrong size/type of screws you may not be able to slide the KISS machine fully over the grey fitting.
5. The bottom of the Kiss Machine bottom tubular portion is now below the whole grey insert allowing you to screw the PVC adaptor fitting into the threaded portion of the Kiss Machine.
- - If you cannot or do not insert the bottom section of the grey fitting into the top of the mounting pole then your mounting pole is the wrong size pipe/tubing. This might just be your problem. Remember the grey insert and white PVC adaptor never come in contact with each other except when, for some reason, the whole installed KISS machine elevates itself in an attempt to come off the mounting pole. The size of the top/mid section of the grey insert is deliberately made large enough so the the white PVC adaptor cannot pass over it.
- - Also check inside the bottom extension of the KISS machine to be sure there isn't anything in there that will prevent the grey insert from fully seating itself completely up inside.
- - You should be able to - before pole installation - thread the wire through the grey insert, seat the spring and shove the grey insert up inside the bottom of the KISS machine. Then you can screw the white PVC adaptor into the threaded portion of the bottom of the Kiss Machine. Reverse the procedure to disassemble your "test" possibly using a bent screwdriver or probe to extract the grey insert and then proceed with normal installation.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 02:30   #8

Thanks for the detailed reply. It is appreciated.

I managed to get through by phone to Kiss' Doug Billings when I worked out that you had to add '1' to the Trinidad international dial code. I am not sure why you have to dial the US to reach Trinidad. Have you guys taken that country over??

the hint re adding '1" only appears on the web site but not on any of the invoices or the wind generator itself.

I had to get up fairly early for the call as Trinidad is 14 hours behind Oz.

Doug and I worked out that the pole fabricator had NOT followed the installation directions and for some crazy reason had added a larger collar to the top of the pole to fit the outside diameter of the white fitting that then stopped this fitting from sliding down the pole and letting the grey insert be fixed to the top of the pole.

IN SHORT pole is up and functional but the 30 kts of wind has of course disappeared.

Thanks all for your help ONCE AGAIN

Tags
generator, installation, wind generator