Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 03:13   #1

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Kohler 5E generator problem

Having trouble getting a Kohler 5E gas generator running smoothly. I have the Kohler 'service manual'; for engine adjustment it is useless.

The engine that the generator uses is a Kawasaki watercooled v-twin FD501D, of course, now out of production.

I've not been able to find anything specific from Kawasaki either.

What I'm looking for is a specific procedure for setting/adjusting the choke/governor/ throttle.

At the moment the generator runs well enough, with voltage, under load or idle, at between 119 - 121, but the operation and speed is not anything close to what I'd call satisfactory; there is an intermittent miss, and some slight, also intermittent backfiring through the carb, which seems to be influencable via carburetor adjustment.

The carburetor is new, there was a ground problem (the original complaint) that was identified and repaired immediately.

The engine starts and runs well otherwise, with no overheating, smoking, leaking or anomalous fluid consumption,

Any information is much appreciated.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:11   #2

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Kohler 5E generator problem

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forum...generators.25/

These guys talked me through a Kohler generator voltage adjustment issue a few years ago and a carb rebuilt recently. It's a little slower pace than CF. Having some details (Kohler spec numbers and a couple pics) on your thread seems to help get people interested.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Kohler 5E generator problem

Since it’s a new carb, I’d either suspect the carb, or a vacuum leak.
Pretty sure that engine was on several John Deere lawn tractors, and if so parts ought to widely available.

It sounds like it’s lean, have you tried new plugs?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator