Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 18:03   #1

Boat: Robertson and Caine Leopard 40
Kohler 6EKOD

Our genset typically shutsdown with a low oil pressure fault after 4 hours. I've checked oil levels and replaced oil pressure sensors with same result.

I've monitored oil pressure with these results:
1. 60 psi at start
2. 40 psi at 2 hours
3. 20 psi at 3.5 hours
4. Shutsdown at about 4 hours with psi less than 15 psi.

Thinking it could be related to temperature (unit is in a sound box and "lives" in the forward lazarette), I tested it today and at 3.5 hours, at 20 psi, I opened to laz hatch and took off the top and side sound box covers. The genset kept running and an hour later, the psi was back up to 30-35 psi.

Has anyone had similar experience??
gbillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:16   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Kohler 6EKOD

Yes the oil is running far too hot,no oil cooler on those smaller units ,a fan in the end of the soundshield bringing in cooler air will help the unit in general,l would also get an oil analys as that pressure differential needs to be checked ,looked after these units will see 10 k hrs .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:13   #3

You could potentially install an oil cooler, these engines have one if used as the prime mover for reefer compressors. I’m not fond of these Lombardini engines that Kohler has adopted for their small gensets, hopefully they’ll have a longer life at 1500rpm and a 4 pole generator, they had a bad rep when spinning a 2 pole generator at 3,000 -3,600 rpm.
Because the oil filter is relocated on a remote base and the cooler is normally fitted to the base in your model genset you could retro fit one, even move it to the outside of the sound shell….. the hoses are certainly long enough and the only real challenge would be hooking up a cooling water supply.
Talk to the service department at Kohler, I’m sure they can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	292386  
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Yes the oil is running far too hot,no oil cooler on those smaller units ,a fan in the end of the soundshield bringing in cooler air will help the unit in general,l would also get an oil analys as that pressure differential needs to be checked ,looked after these units will see 10 k hrs .⚓️⛵️
Why would the oil get so hot with the rest of the engine running at normal temp? How hot would the oil have to be for the pressure to fall so much? Looks crazy to me.

The only thing the oil could be touching which could make it so hot, it seems to me, would be the piston tops, but surely these small engines don't have oil spraying onto the piston tops like bigger turbodiesels do?

And if they did, what kind of design defect would that be to lack an oil cooler?

My similar but older Kohler genset (6.5EFOZ) has a three-cylinder Yanmar tractor engine. Never experienced anything like this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote