Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 12:19   #16

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport
Re: LED Anchor Light

I've been using Bebi lights throughout my boat for the last three years. They work great and use miniscule power. Very well designed and built, and great people to deal with.

svaadagio made a comment that led's are senstive to voltage swing. Note that Bebi lights have an internal voltage regulator to address this problem.

The comment from Scoobert is uninformed. The bebi anchor light is incredibly bright and highly visible.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
that is the single worst thing i have ever seen used as an anchor light short of a garden solar light.

LED's that do not need active cooling are worthless. they do not produce sufficient light at distance.
Scoobert, your ignorance and arrogance are once again showing. There are a great many of us who have been using these lights for some years and they are quite bright, especially when compared to the standard 25 watt incandescent.

Uninformed attacks like this demean the CF community.

Jim
Old 08-09-2013, 12:51   #18
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Scoobert, your ignorance and arrogance are once again showing. There are a great many of us who have been using these lights for some years and they are quite bright, especially when compared to the standard 25 watt incandescent.

Uninformed attacks like this demean the CF community.

Jim
you will find my knowledge on LED lighting to be extensive. to replace 25 watts of halogen lighting requires 3 watts of LED.

at 1.5 watts the hella is even a bit underpowered. i have been looking for a 5 watt anchor light for a year. to no avail. the next step up is commercial, and $3400.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:57   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There are many USCG approved 2 mile LED fixtures that use single LED's per sector without any "active cooling".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:57   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

you will find my knowledge on LED lighting to be extensive. to replace 25 watts of halogen lighting requires 3 watts of LED.

at 1.5 watts the hella is even a bit underpowered. i have been looking for a 5 watt anchor light for a year. to no avail. the next step up is commercial, and $3400.
There is no such thing as a 8 to 1 led ratio.

See http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...mark_11-08.pdf

I'd work on that " extensive knowledge. "

Dave
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59   #21
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:

BS. Have a look at the K2W site for instance. LED Navigationslichter, LED Beleuchtung
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 13:01   #22

Boat: Shuttleworth 31

We've had a Nasa Marine masthead LED anchor light (and masthead tri-colour) for 3 years. The lights are very bright, appear well built and reasonably priced.
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 13:11   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The good quality led "bulbs" will drive the emitters correctly irrespective of the house voltage.

Cheaper LEDs without voltage stabilisation are available. Adding a regulated 12v power supply is not ideal as the they are usually designed for 13.8v and a regulated current supply is superior to to a regulated voltage supply.

LEDs in these sort of applications do not use active cooling, but the larger single emitters use a passive aluminium heatsink.

The Bebi owl light is brighter than the incandescent alternatives. It is also brighter the Aqua signal 1.5 w anchor light (which is very similar in construction to the Hella unit pictured.) It uses about half the power. It is more than bright enough to meet the 2 mile requirement.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 13:12   #24
cruiser

i phrased it incorrectly, i meant to say uncooled, are junk, passive cooled are the only worth wile ones.
Old 08-09-2013, 13:16   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There is no such thing as a 8 to 1 led ratio.

See http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...mark_11-08.pdf

I'd work on that " extensive knowledge. "

Dave
Quote:
As shown in Figure 4, CALiPER-measured light outputs for LED MR16 replacement lamps fall short of even the minimum measured light output for benchmarked 20-W halogen MR16 lamps.
Figure 5 presents a comparison of measured light output and corresponding manufacturer claims for tested MR16 lamps. A significant number of LED products claimed much higher light output than measured in CALiPER testing. Even the halogen example shown here does not quite meet its rated performance levels.
Considering the hashed grey bars, a consumer may be led to believe that a number of the MR16 LED replacement lamps provide light output close to or exceeding the level of the traditional halogen lamps. The average manufacturer rated output for 20-W halogen MR16 lamps is 278 lm, and the average measured output of CALiPER-tested halogen MR16 benchmark lamps is 263 lm—very close to the average of manufacturer ratings. Observation of the yellow bars in Figure 5, which show measured lumen output levels, reveals that only one or two of the LED products come close to matching the lumen output of the lamps they are intended to replace.
your right, its not directly related, but it is close, and it is not linear.
so your agreeing that those uncooled masthead anchor lights are worthless?
sounds like it.
Old 08-09-2013, 13:18   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
i phrased it incorrectly, i meant to say uncooled, are junk, passive cooled are the only worth wile ones.
There are two approaches to designing these lights. The first is to use multiple 5mm LEDs like the Bebi Owl. The 5mm LEDs that are passivly cooled, but do not need additional heat sinking.

The second is use one of the high powered single emitters with a lens system to distribute the light. All the single emitters are passivly cooled but require at least a modest heatsink.

Both design approaches can work well and depend more on the detail (quality of emitters and drivers etc)

The Owl light is about the best in terms of brightness or the 2mile units. You can always fit the Masina Malosi which is essentially two owl units together. The power consumption will still be similar to other led anchor lights.
Old 08-09-2013, 13:31   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

your right, its not directly related, but it is close, and it is not linear.
so your agreeing that those uncooled masthead anchor lights are worthless?
sounds like it.
I merely use that report to show you 8 to 1 halogen to led is nonsense. , it can be anywhere from about 3 to 1 to about 5 to 1.

Cooling is a function of power dissipation against temp rise. Whether its active , passive etc is irrelevant to light output per say

Dave
Old 08-09-2013, 13:43   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You cannot simply look at the total lumens of an incandescent filament globe and a Led emitter and come to meaningful conclusions about the relative brightness as an anchor light.

Incandesent anchor lights require an optical system to distribute the light, in the required area. Generally this is non existant, or is a simple fresnel lens. LEDs can do this much more easily so may be a brighter anchor light even when the total lumens is less than the incandescent alternatives.
Old 08-09-2013, 14:03   #29

Boat: Cornado 25

<rant>
Quote:
you will find my knowledge on LED lighting to be extensive.
What..... sitting on the dock, or in front of your computer?
Quote:
You think your $400 led masthead lights under go this kind of testing?Bebi Electronics-Product Testing of Marine LED Running Lights I got your "High heat, right here

and it still works..... This is real world, real cruisers who actually rely on this stuff to be safe. Looking at your blog you might want to spend a little more time working on that iron gennie and a little less time in front of the computer. </rant>

Ooops, I fed a troll.... sorry all but I couldn't help myself

P.S. I have no affilliation with Bibi, just use their products with excelent results. Good does not = expensive
Old 08-09-2013, 14:04   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There are two approaches to designing these lights. The first is to use multiple 5mm LEDs like the Bebi Owl. The 5mm LEDs that are passivly cooled, but do not need additional heat sinking.

The second is use one of the high powered single emitters with a lens system to distribute the light. All the single emitters are passivly cooled but require at least a modest heatsink.

Both design approaches can work well and depend more on the detail (quality of emitters and drivers etc)

The Owl light is about the best in terms of brightness or the 2mile units. You can always fit the Masina Malosi which is essentially two owl units together. The power consumption will still be similar to other led anchor lights.

right. the 5MM leds are quite worthless at distance.
i somehow doubt the 5mm leds would be very visible at 2 miles.
i had thought of making a custom light. out of these.
5 Watt MR16 LED Replacement Bulb 12VAC 10 30VDC Spot Light Flood Halogen BiPin | eBay
in a large circular array. i prefer brightness to power savings. i would stay with a bulb, but climbing my mast solo is a hard job.

Tags
anchor, paracelle