Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2021, 13:46   #1

Boat: sailing Shipman 28 / OE36 project
LED cabin light flashes while off

Maybe someone has ideas what could cause this.

The cabin light is switched off and suddenly it starts flashing. At the beginning the interval between flashes is maybe 10 seconds, then it speeds up.
When I turn the light on, it works perfect - constant light. Switching off sand it stays off for a while, then suddenly starts flashing again. It is Osculati LED cabin light.

made a short video to show you:
https://youtu.be/5154RcDWA_M
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 13:52   #2

Re: LED cabin light flashes while off

How are you switching it on/off? Is it a built-in switch? Is it a dimmer?

Please provide a circuit diagram of the installation if appropriate, and the make/model of the light
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 14:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
How are you switching it on/off? Is it a built-in switch? Is it a dimmer?

Please provide a circuit diagram of the installation if appropriate, and the make/model of the light
The light has a built in switch. It is Osculati 13.442.12

https://www.osculati.com/en/11388-13...ht-with-switch

Installation is simple as that - positive and negative cable run from busbars to the light which has built in switch. No dimmer.
I've posted a youtube link in the orginal post showing how the light acts
Old 15-05-2021, 14:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
The light has a built in switch. It is Osculati 13.442.12

https://www.osculati.com/en/11388-13...ht-with-switch

Installation is simple as that - positive and negative cable run from busbars to the light which has built in switch. No dimmer.
I've posted a youtube link in the orginal post showing how the light acts

Remove the light, run it from 12v on your workbench... if it blinks there too, it's broken. Send it back.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 09:05   #5

Watching this thread with interest. I’ve had a similar ongoing issue with my LED lighting – it’s fine for months, then it goes through an erratic phase where the lights turn on and flicker between different brightness levels. Physically operating the lighting cures it, for a while. In my case though, I’ve got an LED dimmer with remote, which I assumed was susceptible to external interference. However, on changing the dimmer for a different make only made matters worse, so I reverted back to the original. I’ve tried sequentially turning off everything else on the boat during one of these phases to find a possible source of interference, but to no avail. An interesting aspect of the LED dimmers is that they operate on the negative line, as opposed to the positive line that the original halogen dimmer operated on. Not sure if this is in any way significant.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 09:36   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

LED lamps require very little current, so any moisture in the switch can cause current tracking which may turn the lamp on. I have seen this when water ingress due to a leak got into the switch.
Old 16-05-2021, 10:13   #7

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

After replacing all my interior lights with LEDs, I have suffered this problem several times and I have found that if the connection is in series, one fails and all fail; the LEDs need 12 volts by definition and constantly to illuminate; when they fail or burn out. LEDs start to blink; humidity produces current losses and lower incoming voltage. Non-dimmable LEDs cannot be included in a constant circuit
I hope this tips help you
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 12:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
Watching this thread with interest. I’ve had a similar ongoing issue with my LED lighting – it’s fine for months, then it goes through an erratic phase where the lights turn on and flicker between different brightness levels. Physically operating the lighting cures it, for a while. In my case though, I’ve got an LED dimmer with remote, which I assumed was susceptible to external interference. However, on changing the dimmer for a different make only made matters worse, so I reverted back to the original. I’ve tried sequentially turning off everything else on the boat during one of these phases to find a possible source of interference, but to no avail. An interesting aspect of the LED dimmers is that they operate on the negative line, as opposed to the positive line that the original halogen dimmer operated on. Not sure if this is in any way significant.
Mine acts the same- it may be ok for months and then suddenly start flickering. Turning the light on for a minute and then switching off it stays off for 5-10 mins. Then start flickering again...
Old 16-05-2021, 16:09   #9

It is possible that a low voltage could cause this to an LED that is on a dimmer. However, if it is a simple on off switch then the switch must be faulty as it can only be off or on.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 16:26   #10

Some years ago a nearby neighbour regularly used their HF radio to communicate with friends in Europe. When they were transmitting, my DC switchboard lights would begin flashing and then most of my interior lights were florescent tubes or filament bulbs. They didn't flash but the few LED lights did. Induction in DC wiring circuits with long runs should not come as a surprise.
What made me suspicious was that the flashing would be random, but in periods of seconds or longer and then stop, only to start again.
I asked around the marina if anyone knew why this happened and a lady told me that the time matched her HF conversation. So we tested the matter and sure enough it corresponded. My yacht was only a few away but there were no other occupied boats within 100 m of her yacht so no one else observed the same effect. The use of HF has presumably reduced due to good alternatives, but ham operators still abound.
I am not implying that this is the cause, but it just might be. if the pattern is consistent e.g. every night at 9 PM or every second Tuesday evening, then it just might be the source. Ham operators often have call schedules.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 16:27   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

I had a similar problem a few years ago with the LED lights in my switch panel. We had pulled into a a small tie up pier in the middle of nowhere in Norway. I could not understand why half my indicator lights were glowing. Put a meter across the lamps and there was a half volt showing. It was enough to cause the LEDs to glow weakly.

Turned out I was near a very powerful radio transmitter and it induced enough voltage to cause the glow. Moved on the next day and the problem was gone.

Are you near any high voltage power lines or nearby a transmitter?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 18:17   #12

Boat: Roberts 45

What did the manufacturer say? They might've "seen it all"?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 06:56   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom 71'

If the switch that controls the LED is remote from it the connection cable acts as an antenna. It will pick up "noise" from adjacent wires and it doesn't need much energy to flick the LED on.

If it is annoying, a small capacitor connected across the LED will absorb the voltage spikes but not waste any power when the LED is in use.
Old 17-05-2021, 08:00   #14
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@Yandina #13
Good idea!
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:19   #15

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

A capacitor will also cure any RF induced voltage.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin