Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 18:46   #1
txg

Boat: Dufour 35
LED Nav lights without fixed power cord?

We are always experiencing problems with our Aqua Signal 34 nav lights because their fixed and potted power cord is absolutely not appropriate for an offshore boat in the tropics with a mounting situation that leaves out parts of the cable in the sun and doesn't allow the power connection to be in a really dry compartment of the boat because the fixed cord is too short.

We installed these lights about three years ago and currently two work, one is repaired in a McGyver way to hopefully last till we can source a proper replacement and one stopped working completely. The repaired one was replaced two years ago, so it is the second failure in three years.

While looking for a replacement for these i tried to find something like the old Aqua Signal 50 we had on our previous boat. These lights were more than 35 years old and we didn't have any problems with them, because they didn't have an integrated cord but could be opened to clamp in the cable that was coming from the switch panel without any break in between. They are outdated today because they are not LED and they won't fit our bow because they are too big, so i am looking for something with the footprint of the Aqua Signal 34 with the possibility to connect my own cable of proper quality* inside of the fixture. Any ideas?

*The cable of the Aqua Signal 34 is about 5-6ft long, absolutely fiddly (i guess about 0,25mm˛ or AWG24), non-tinned and not UV-stable. Absolutely useless except maybe for small motorboats that have these mounted on the side of the cabin, so all the wiring is running inside the boat.