Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2014, 14:00   #1

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat
Leopard 42 - Alternator exciter circuit woes

Hello,

I have searched the forum and not found this topic so here goes.

We recently purchased a 2002 Leopard 42 and I have found that one of the alternators isn't charging it's battery. I'm told by the previous owner that he tracked it down to the exciter circuit running through a 1.7watt indicator light bulb at the helm station that most likely needs to be replaced. I have never heard of an exciter circuit being run through an alert bulb but OK...does anyone have any experience with this and/or on Leopards specifically? If so, does this make any sense and/or any ideas where I can get a replacement? That doesn't sounds like a bulb I'll be able to find at the local auto parts.

Thank you,
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 14:17   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Leopard 42 - Alternator exciter circuit woes

Yes, this is one typical way to provide the initial current to start the alternator output. The bulb on the panel should be a very typical automotive type bulb, so won't be a problem to replace if out.

But check to see if it really is burned out - it should be the bulb that lights up the "charging" icon (or whatever it is called and looks like - look in the manual for the indicator light locations).

If the bulb continues to be a problem, you can replace it with a resistor.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 16:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

What type of alternator is it?

Yes a faulty bulb will stop your alternator. Replace bulb then if that does not work you are on the next stage of diagnostics

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 18:49   #4

Boat: csy 37

My bulb also went out but I found that, after running about 10 minutes, my delco remy si12 would excite itself and start charging...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 08:13   #5

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat

A quick update and thanks for the input thus far.

I got some replacement bulbs but they did not have the desired affect. I did notice that the new bulb would glow very slightly when the ignition was on but motor not yet started...then when motor started it would go dark.

No change in behavior of the alternator unfortunately but now I have a couple of spare 1.7W bulbs for my dash display if/when I need them, so I got that going for me. : o)

I don't have a lot of spare time to put into troubleshooting this so is anyone familiar with a good/knowledgeable and most of all honest/trustworthy deisel mechanic/electrician in the Fort Myers, Naples area? Oh and if he's cheap that would be great to but not a priority.
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, leopard