Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 15:28   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Lifeline 8D AGM Age

I believe you inferred things I did not write. I think nothing wrong with Lifeline 8Ds, just giving additional info for other possible choices.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 16:06   #17

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I believe you inferred things I did not write. I think nothing wrong with Lifeline 8Ds, just giving additional info for other possible choices.
Nope, I've never seen you write anything negative about Lifeline's and so haven't inferred anything. I'm also aware of other quality AGM's that are out there, and in fact have purchased many of them for my boat, my RV, and my motorcycles. I was simply pointing out why a poster on CF might conclude that Lifeline's are the "best" AGM in a forum focused on cruising (mostly with sailboats). By contrast, and for example, this evaluation would probably not hold up for folks who own and are interested in trawlers, other types of powerboats, airplanes, or even RVs since they don't generally have the same issues keeping their batteries topped up.

The problem with your other "choices" when it comes to AGMs for cruising sailboats is that you're setting up people who seek advice for costly disappointment. Not the first time as plenty of others more knowledgeable than myself have repeatedly pointed out. Believing you understand certain boat systems generally & generically doesn't necessarily translate into the ability to give advice to boat owners specifically. At a minimum, I wish you'd refrain from rendering such advice in such frequently absolutist terms. You certainly have no business referring to someone else's opinion about marine batteries as a "crock."
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 16:09   #18
cruiser

The specific statement I addressed was that indeed. I did not say of what.
Old 23-11-2019, 16:25   #19

Assuming AGM's are desired, I don't know of any qualified expert or knowledgeable boat owner who would not recommend Lifeline (or maybe Firefly) for a largely off-grid cruising sailboat. Unless the boat had a LOT of solar or other reliable non-diesel powered means of topping up batteries on a regular basis. Even then, the conditioning option probably makes Lifeline the "best" option value-wise. Some may beg to differ, but such an opinion is certainly no "crock."
Old 23-11-2019, 19:19   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Lifeline 8D AGM Age

I spoke to one of the Godber’s and bought my batteries from them direct because of where I worked at the time. While he didn’t say 8D’s were inferior he recommended pretty heavily the 6V batteries I have GPL-4CT I believe.
However just carrying an 8D is enough to make me want to steer clear.
They are however it seems to be overwhelmingly the battery choice for power boats, I know in our Sportfishermen we always had one for each engine, I used to call the Bulldozer batteries, because our little Bulldozer had one in it.

I believe though that Lifeline and maybe Rolls are the only deep cycle 8D’s there are.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 20:13   #21
cruiser

Dyno's are also excellent, compete well with FLA Rolls, if you really need to stick with the 8D format.
Old 23-11-2019, 22:54   #22

My battery compartment lies almost directly beneath a large opening hatch which in turn is almost directly underneath the end of my boom. So it's not too bad moving my 8D's on & off the boat with the boom and block & tackle. I may nevertheless try the 6v's next time around for both ease of moving as well as the extra capacity. The downside is quite a bit more cabling to make & hook up.

I'd probably go with golf cart batts or other FLA's except that my battery compartment is directly underneath my berth. Figured it might not be all that healthy to have 3 FLA's gassing off underneath me while I sleep. By the time I need replacements the Firefly's will have been out for awhile and so well tested & reviewed, so that might be an option as well.
Old 24-11-2019, 02:46   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojosailing View Post
I am close to purchasing a new (to me) sailboat that comes with 4 Lifeline 8D AGM batteries. They were installed in 2012. How long before they will need to be replaced? Boat has been used mostly in New England where she is now, on the hard for the winter. I plan on moving onto the boat this coming June-ish and moving to the Caribbean later in the year.
When should I expect to have to replace them? Or are they on borrowed time now?

Some of the info folks posted is germane, but your specific instance probably depends on how your batteries have been treated in the past. If usually fully recharged after each discharge cycle, and especially if periodically equalized too... you could maybe get another 4-5 years or so out of them.

If not, then maybe not.

Try equalizing, try to fully recharge after each cycle if circumstances permit, see what happens.

If it helps, we've been using Odyssey AGMs -- not equalizable, but otherwise comparable in quality to Lifeline -- and we've gotten 10-11 seasons (so far) out of each bank. That's only with reasonably constant recharge.

-Chris
Old 24-11-2019, 08:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If it helps, we've been using Odyssey AGMs -- not equalizable, but otherwise comparable in quality to Lifeline -- and we've gotten 10-11 seasons (so far) out of each bank. That's only with reasonably constant recharge.
-Chris
Ditto for me using Odyssey's in my 5th wheel RV. Excellent longevity. But the trailer spends almost all of its time in the US southwest with plenty of sun hitting the solar panels on an almost daily basis. I've had good service with other deep cycles installed as well, so I've always figured it was the solar that was mainly responsible. Also not many deep discharges.

Tags
agm