Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 04:44   #136
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: LiFeP04, your complete system cost

Aha, now I can visualize it, U-bolts between each tab, wrapped around the side.

Don't go to too much trouble, maybe other similar builds are more closely documented out there.

Thanks a lot!

I would never presume pressuring a fellow member to share more than they feel comfortable with.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:08   #137

Boat: 50 ft lite displacement motor boat

I found a pic but don't how to post it!
geoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:18   #138

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Here goes, I won't labour the safety demands, the pouches are mechanically and electrically vulnerable. Be warned. There are 16 stacks in series with each stack 10 in parallel. Split between 3 blocks of 6x6x4.
Made a jig to safely and accurately hold each pouch so I could drill the two flaps that are the + -. These holes need to be accurate so each 10 in parallel can be bolted together as a common bond. I used some 3mmx20mm copper flat left over from another job, these were bent double to physically and electrically allow the bolts to pull the 10 pouches flaps together, note the pouches are not pulled together. This is achieved by placing synthetic spacer between each of the copper joins. The spacer is cut from some leftovers synthetic decking. This approach ensures electrical continuity is achieved thru the copper not the securing bolts.
I used conductive paste on all joins. Each stack was stagger joined in series to ensure no individual pouch carries an unbalanced load. The stacks were then mechanically and electrically joined and connected into the three 'battery boxes.
Please note this would not be suitable for a traction application and system design is for max 60amp. Potentially eeach stack could deliver 900amps within spec.
Obviously the whole system set up is a different story.
Looking at that image, I'd have real fire safety concerns.

I think this should all go into a real flame proof box. Possibly fitted with some sort of fire extinguishing/flooding option.

Wooden supports are not the best solution in my eyes.
Even aluminium is not as it can catch fire too if it's really hot. Maybe an Aramid box with fire retardent resin would be best.

Firefighters have often issues extinguishing these battery fires. I even heard of an occasion where they ended up dunking a burning car into a container full of water for that very reason.
Old 29-04-2019, 08:28   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Looking at that image, I'd have real fire safety concerns.

I think this should all go into a real flame proof box. Possibly fitted with some sort of fire extinguishing/flooding option.

Wooden supports are not the best solution in my eyes.
Even aluminium is not as it can catch fire too if it's really hot. Maybe an Aramid box with fire retardent resin would be best.

Firefighters have often issues extinguishing these battery fires. I even heard of an occasion where they ended up dunking a burning car into a container full of water for that very reason.
we are talking about lifepo4 here the fire risk is minimal .
In many EV's they use cobalt based and that particular chemistry while normally safe there is a higher fire risk.