Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 06:59   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: LiFePO4: ABYC considering "ban" on non-integrated installs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Especially as insurance companies may use ABYC recommendations as way to avoid paying otherwise legitimate claims.
Generally speaking, ABYC compliance is not required for insurance coverage nor for payout. European brand boats (like Bendy) have for years not met all the ABYC standards* and they obviously are able to get insurance.

There may be a “discussion/negotiation” during an insurance survey, with the surveyor, about the safety of your boat. Some surveyors are more “abyc strict” than others, but as I said bendy’s have managed to pass surveys and get insured without full compliance.

As to payout . . . Honestly there is enough small print in most policies that they can find some grounds to reject most any claim if they are a disreputable company. But a reputable company will (generally) accept the claim unless something egregious was done.

* the euro boats are required to pass ec standards, but the abyc standards are entirely voluntary (for recreational boats) both in law and for insurance.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:24   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I would say a payout would only be at risk if your "sub-par DIY" system were actually the cause of a fire.

Which ABYC compliance certification would actually help protect you from.

I see this whole trend as a positive, encouragement of LFP systems deployment, not in any way a negative.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:02   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I would say a payout would only be at risk if your "sub-par DIY" system were actually the cause of a fire.
Yes, but even then it will still probably be paid. There are a lot of instances of “sub-par” installations (of all sorts of systems) causing claims which get paid. DIY work often sucks, but still gets covered.

It generally really needs to be egregiously bad to be rejected by a reputable company.

I agree a best practice standard is useful.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4