Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:36   #1

Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38
Lithium betteries and solar panels

We installed some more solar panels and lithium batteries.

After much research we found the cheapest lithium batteries in USA.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

So I didn't see what charge controller you have?

I'm going from 550watt to 1000watt next Monday, installing a midnite 150 classic which can charge within the parameters of LIFEPO4 @96a max.

We are planning 1250ah from balqon, but we are a charter boat and are very wasteful with energy

Love the link!

David
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik View Post

After much research we found the cheapest lithium batteries in USA. i though it would be helpful to share the info here.

I did not see any specifics on the Li battery install. Would you mind filling us in on how you are; charging, charge termination, how you protect from a LVE or HVE, what you are using for alt reg settings, how you balanced the bank, over current protection, what solar controller, voltage & cell level monitoring etc. etc...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:00   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasepower View Post

I'm going from 550watt to 1000watt next Monday, installing a midnite 150 classic which can charge within the parameters of LIFEPO4 @96a max.

We are planning 1250ah from balqon, but we are a charter boat and are very wasteful with energy

Love the link!

David
You're going to love both the lithium cells AND the Midnite Solar 150.
I've got both of them in our home's backup system, and the 150 is very programmable.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:31   #5

Boat: Morgan 382 #75

I must have missed the link to the cheapest LiFePo4 batteries. Did you use a BMS?
jdenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

He said Balqon.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:45   #7

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik View Post

After much research we found the cheapest lithium batteries in USA. i though it would be helpful to share the info here.
Curious as to the batteries? The additional solar panels makes for a large total array but after reading some of your blog sounds like your son and his video games and computer usage will consume those watts.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 18:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
You're going to love both the lithium cells AND the Midnite Solar 150.
I've got both of them in our home's backup system, and the 150 is very programmable.

Awesome!

Thanks for reassuring me....I'm excited for the extra power.

Right now we eat 16-25ah without running our 12v watermaker...gotta have a deep freezer(6cu), galley fridge/freezer(7cu), beer freezer(4.5cu) and veggie locker(5.5cu)

550w covers my daily needs from sunup-sundown but gives little back to the batteries.
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 09:28   #9

Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasepower View Post

Love the link!

David
Sorry for late reply, been sailing and not much internet...

Have 2 charge controllers TriStar MPPT 60 amp and 45 amp. What you have should be more than enough but how many wats you are getting from solar panels/or engine?
Old 19-01-2014, 10:40   #10

Boat: Gulfstar

I'm kinda lost! I didn't catch the lithium wave that came through this Cruisers Forum! I still use some of the OLD fashioned technology...batteries! Great lead acid batteries last a very long time....if properly cared for! My intro to with lithium battery usage, drills, lithium Dremel tools, have indicated "short lived"! Home Depot, still refuses to except dead lithium batteries, such as my two lithium powered hand tools to date 2014!

If lithium batteries are worthy, I'd like to hear more. In my opinion, lithium is no contest for lead acid...except for weight savings....such as on NASA missions.
Salty Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 11:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Skipper View Post
I'm kinda lost! I didn't catch the lithium wave that came through this Cruisers Forum! I still use some of the OLD fashioned technology...batteries! Great lead acid batteries last a very long time....if properly cared for! My intro to with lithium battery usage, drills, lithium Dremel tools, have indicated "short lived"! Home Depot, still refuses to except dead lithium batteries, such as my two lithium powered hand tools to date 2014!

If lithium batteries are worthy, I'd like to hear more. In my opinion, lithium is no contest for lead acid...except for weight savings....such as on NASA missions.
Well Salty, you have missed the boat. Don't confuse the LiFePO4 prismatic cells we are using with other chemistry. A very well cared for lead bank will last 400 cycles going to 50% DOD while our lithium cells exceed 2000 cycles going to 80% DOD. Because of how they are rated, you will only need 1/2 the a-hr rating with lithium to give the same usable amps. If your a full time cruiser and on the hook most the time, no other battery is cheaper in the long run. No acid, corrosion, almost nil Peukert, minimal voltage sag under heavy loads and of course weight is just some more reasons to join the 21st century.

Lead is dead.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:35   #12

Boat: Gulfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Well Salty, you have missed the boat. Don't confuse the LiFePO4 prismatic cells we are using with other chemistry. A very well cared for lead bank will last 400 cycles going to 50% DOD while our lithium cells exceed 2000 cycles going to 80% DOD. Because of how they are rated, you will only need 1/2 the a-hr rating with lithium to give the same usable amps. If your a full time cruiser and on the hook most the time, no other battery is cheaper in the long run. No acid, corrosion, almost nil Peukert, minimal voltage sag under heavy loads and of course weight is just some more reasons to join the 21st century.

Lead is dead.
Thank you......I was looking for the next replacement battery bank. But my Rolls still refuse to give up their ghost! In fact, they are now older and still in service longer than the longest list of lithium usage to date....Go figure!
Salty Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 12:47   #13

I'll admit Rolls is about the best LA out there. Give me 18 months and I'll have greater than 2000 cycles. I cycle to 82% DOD 4 times a day on my lithium bank. I'm only on cycle 186 but no capacity change at this point.

How many cycles and to what depth do you have on the Rolls? Also, what is the typical C on those cycles? I'm pulling 0.41 C on my cycles.
Old 19-01-2014, 15:41   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Skipper View Post
Thank you......I was looking for the next replacement battery bank. But my Rolls still refuse to give up their ghost! In fact, they are now older and still in service longer than the longest list of lithium usage to date....Go figure!
How many discharge cycles are you subjecting them to, and how do you know " they refuse to give up the ghost " how are you monitoring capacity.

Dave
Old 19-01-2014, 16:35   #15

Hey Dave,

I can understand Salty's feeling towards his Rolls batteries. Before lithium I used them in stand alone off grid homes. I have used (24) 1200 a-hr 2 volt cells in series for a 48 volt house bank. The home owner got 12 years of service but generally cycled only to 10%~ 30% DOD.

That was 1 1/2 tons of batteries and back then cost almost $10K for a 57 kw/hr bank.

Today the same usable a-hr could be done with (16) 300 a-hr LiFePO4 cells at a weight of 370 lbs and half the cost of the Rolls. Big difference between 3000 lbs of lead vs. 370 lbs.

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels