Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 00:38   #31

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Re: Lithium fire protection

So back to the original post concept. A metal box, with some fire resistant layer, 20L of water, and black poly hose. Overheat would quickly melt hose, dumping fresh water into box, cooling battery, and preventing spread.
Assuming this happens due to controller failure and overcharge whilst you are off the boat.
And assuming the the LiFePO4 actually fails, which it probably wont.

Seems like cheap simple insurance with almost no tech.

Worst case - fresh water on battery is likely not a strong conductor and of limited risk.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 16:25   #32

CharlieJ, interesting. However an all metal battery box gives me pause. Would hate to have the batteries tumble against the box on a roll over. If I went this route I guess I would need some welded in strong ties on the box floor (so the box dies not leak) to tie down the batteries?
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
CharlieJ, interesting. However an all metal battery box gives me pause. Would hate to have the batteries tumble against the box on a roll over. If I went this route I guess I would need some welded in strong ties on the box floor (so the box dies not leak) to tie down the batteries?
Doesn’t matter what kind of box or even no box, you *always* need them tied down well so they can’t fly about and destroy stuff in a knockdown or rollover....
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:14   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickt243 View Post
Doesn’t matter what kind of box or even no box, you *always* need them tied down well so they can’t fly about and destroy stuff in a knockdown or rollover....
Indeed.
ABYC recommends that the battery not move more than one inch in any direction, with a force equal to the weight of the battery.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:47   #35

Boat: Columbia 8.7

In the US, batteries are also required by law to not move. They also must be designed to not allow terminals to come in contact with metal, a metal box would have to be carefully shielded.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/183.420
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:04   #36

Of course all batteries need to be secured, my point is putting them in a metal box might pose special tie down challenges. I abhor the idea of anything metallic in the vicinity of my bank for fear of shorting the electrodes in violent weather.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:29   #37

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
Of course all batteries need to be secured, my point is putting them in a metal box might pose special tie down challenges. I abhor the idea of anything metallic in the vicinity of my bank for fear of shorting the electrodes in violent weather.
I built my battery box out of 3/4" glassed Marine ply, then had bed liner sprayed on the inside. Out would certainly hold water, but the least of my worries would be my LFP bank catching on fire. It is a very safe chemistry, arguably more so than LA.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot