Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2023, 00:17   #1

Lithium Upgrade - Step-by-Step?

Hello everybody,

we renewed our lithium house bank this year with drop-ins with an overall capacity of 600ah.

As we are currently do not live on the boat, this is more than plenty. Still, we plan to move onboard within the next 3 years. As we are thinking of adding an AC, we will then need more ah in our house bank.

So, is it okay to upgrade the system maybe in 2 years with the same drop-ins to make it 1000-1200ah or is there any problem associated with that?

We had some help from a local marinero when installing the actual batteries, he mentioned that if we want to upgrade, we should do it within one year (with the same brand and size of battery), but wasn't really able to tell us why this is needed.

From a budget perspective we could also upgrade now, the bigger constraints I'm having is
- lack of time to implement it / make it work
- technology is advancing / batteries are getting cheaper
- having load on the new batteries / decreasing their lifespan without really needing it.

Really appreciate your thoughts and what you would do in this situation...

Thanks
heizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 20:00   #2

Re: Lithium Upgrade - Step-by-Step?

Advice given to add additional batteries within 1 year or sooner was accurate. Besides the difference in battery life left, you can’t count on the batteries still being available or manufactured the same two or more years down the road.

You want all cells to be as close to identical for optimal bank performance.
Pandor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 20:56   #3

When I look at currently available, lower priced, "drop in" Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries with built in BMS, I often see statements that the number of batteries you can put into series or parallel is limited to 3 or 4. No explanation is given as to why this is. I am left curious.

The prices certainly have come down. I am seeing some drop in lithium batteries that are little more than $2 per Amp hour.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 22:22   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

The importance of matching LFP batteries that are placed in parallel is exaggerated. You could add capacity that is not only a different brand, but a totally different capacity, for example adding 200Ah to a 300Ah battery, and not likely notice any performance issues at all.
Old 31-10-2023, 22:37   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The importance of matching LFP batteries that are placed in parallel is exaggerated. You could add capacity that is not only a different brand, but a totally different capacity, for example adding 200Ah to a 300Ah battery, and not likely notice any performance issues at all.
Indeed, we added a 100Ah LFP to the existing 2 year old 120Ah LFP this summer. During a 3 week trip away didn't notice anything untoward happening with the different sizes and age.

The only thing we need to take into account is the SOC percentage is different. This is because if you draw a heavy load eg cooking, then the smaller LFP will supply a larger percentage of power. Not that a % is particularly accurate and should only be used as a quick reference to see the % SOC.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 23:10   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
You want all cells to be as close to identical for optimal bank performance.

Optimal profits for the seller?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:01   #7

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

Quote:
The importance of matching LFP batteries that are placed in parallel is exaggerated. .
I'm glad to read common sense answers that are matched with experience. Too often, advice veers toward high-end (expensive) gold-standard replies that are pure hearsay.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:46   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I agree and feel the same applies to batteries of different age. Yes not a "perfect" system, but hey we live on boats and nothing about the operation is perfect!

Maybe you only get 90% capacity of the new battery, but hey that is 90% MORE than you had.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:37   #9

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by heizer1 View Post
Hello everybody,

we renewed our lithium house bank this year with drop-ins with an overall capacity of 600ah.

As we are currently do not live on the boat, this is more than plenty. Still, we plan to move onboard within the next 3 years. As we are thinking of adding an AC, we will then need more ah in our house bank.

So, is it okay to upgrade the system maybe in 2 years with the same drop-ins to make it 1000-1200ah or is there any problem associated with that?

We had some help from a local marinero when installing the actual batteries, he mentioned that if we want to upgrade, we should do it within one year (with the same brand and size of battery), but wasn't really able to tell us why this is needed.

From a budget perspective we could also upgrade now, the bigger constraints I'm having is
- lack of time to implement it / make it work
- technology is advancing / batteries are getting cheaper
- having load on the new batteries / decreasing their lifespan without really needing it.

Really appreciate your thoughts and what you would do in this situation...

Thanks
Did you go all LFP or do you still have lead? I ask this because all LFP may cause issues with your alternator.......
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 11:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
Did you go all LFP or do you still have lead? I ask this because all LFP may cause issues with your alternator.......
We had LFP before and have measurements for the alternators in place:::

Thank you for all the replies, calms me down to concentrate on projects which are more urgent.
heizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium