Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 08:39   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31
Load Output on MPPT Controller

Why would I connect anything to the "Load" output on my new MPPT controller? Wouldn't that be pretty useless on a dark day or at night? Am I missing some utility? I'm replacing an old PWM controller with a Victron SmartSolar 75/15. I've searched the Forum and haven't found anything that addresses this question directly.
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 09:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Load Output on MPPT Controller

The load output is generally of very limited use on a boat, but it will still supply power (from the battery bank) when the solar output is zero. It will therefore work at night.

The load output can be configured to switch on an anchor light at dusk, turn off a fridge if the battery voltage drops too low etc.

Some controllers will even allow the load terminals to be programmed with a sophisticated set of parameters, which can be useful.

Without additional electronics such as a relay, the output current is limited and the complication of the above options is generally not justified for most marine applications. KISS. However, if you have a suitable application there is nothing wrong with using the load output.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 13:14   #3

Boat: Island Packet 31
Re: Load Output on MPPT Controller

Thank you for the informative reply. You've confirmed my naive evaluation that the feature has little value for me in my current situation, but it may be something to keep in mind.
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, mppt